Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Help / Question!!

tag
Starbuckpga
Established Member

Quick Help / Question!!

I was just approved online from Bank of America for a nice amount....I applied for the Visa Platinum Plus not knowing whether I would be approved or not. Well turns out they did and for a nice amount. My question is can I upgrade it to say a card that has rewards? Like cash back or air miles? I am thinking about calling them this afternoon and asking them for a better card. What are my options and can I do this? Looking for the best way to approach this. Thanks guys!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Quick Help / Question!!

Most credit card "rewards" are more trouble than they are worth. There are exceptions, of course, and if you happen to find a card with a good rewards program that dovetails neatly with your lifestyle, then go for it.

But for now, just be glad you have the card. Treat it well.
Message 2 of 12
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

TheNewWorldMan wrote:
Most credit card "rewards" are more trouble than they are worth. There are exceptions, of course, and if you happen to find a card with a good rewards program that dovetails neatly with your lifestyle, then go for it.

My Juniper/Barclays give me free gas - that gets more valuable every day  Smiley Happy

I doubt that I will ever get a free trip on my Chase United air miles - I would need to charge $25,000 for a free ticket!  I was happy with the one I got for signing up  Smiley Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 12
Starbuckpga
Established Member

Well being is I am going to use of it for a wedding, but will be paying it all off every month as we go along. Could use the miles and points for airline tickets and hotel nights. That's why I was asking. Also I hear some people ask for a credit limit increase right away, is that a good idea or not?
Message 4 of 12
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

MidnightVoice wrote:

TheNewWorldMan wrote:

My Juniper/Barclays give me free gas - that gets more valuable every day  Smiley Happy

I doubt that I will ever get a free trip on my Chase United air miles - I would need to charge $25,000 for a free ticket!  I was happy with the one I got for signing up  Smiley Happy

DH gives me free gas all the time.  I want a different reward..chocolate perhaps!  Smiley Very Happy

For Chase UAL, keep an eye on mileageplusmall.com.  Easy ways to rack up bonus points thru stores you might already be ordering from anyway.  Also, they are having promos now 500 extra points for AU cards (max 1000, just need a name not SSNs--- your cat will do), 500 for paperless statements etc if you have not.  

EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 5 of 12
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

SmartCookie wrote:

For Chase UAL, keep an eye on mileageplusmall.com.  Easy ways to rack up bonus points thru stores you might already be ordering from anyway. 
No luck there I am afraid

SmartCookie wrote:

they are having promos now 500 extra points for AU cards (max 1000)

Got them - DW and DD

SmartCookie wrote:

500 for paperless statements etc if you have not.  

Got them Day 1

Nor to mention Netflix for 4000   Smiley Very Happy

So I got my free ticket.  But to spend $25,000 for another one - will be very difficult

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 12
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Since they already pulled you, yup now is the time to ask for anything.  You got a good limit but hey I'd try for a CLI too.  I think checking out their reward cards for something annual fee free would be a good idea too!  I see a cashback card there like that... so you get something for nothing so to speak.  If you are PIF every month, you don't need to worry about the APR so much.  Check out all the reward cards and if you like something, call a rep or get one of their online reps to see what they can do.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 7 of 12
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

MidnightVoice wrote:
Nor to mention Netflix for 4000   Smiley Very Happy

So I got my free ticket.  But to spend $25,000 for another one - will be very difficult

I got the Netflix promo too!  I'm liking them actually, have to say... We also tied the card into their dining program and wouldn't you know it... tiny lil pizza place down the street participates!

Ok, back under my rock... I'm hijacking.... 
Message 8 of 12
Starbuckpga
Established Member

Ok guys as I said I would I called them on my way home from work. They upgraded me to the WorldPoints Reward card just like I wanted from the Platinum Visa. They also reviewed me account and no **bleep** they went from 6k credit limit to a 10k credit limit. I about had a wreck when they told me this. Thanks Bank of America..... -David
Message 9 of 12
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

No driving off the road allowed!    Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.