cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go with CCC or should I do it myself agian?

tag
Leele
Established Member

Should I go with CCC or should I do it myself agian?

I am about $20,000 in credit card debt I have paid it off once before with no help from a credit counseling company, I was just wondering should I do it again by myself or should I use CCC...Long story short, the sompany that I worked for downsized and I basically had to live off my CC for a while my credit score had dropped from 627 to 549...I have brought it back up before from a score this low... However, this year a lot of old negatve remarks will be removed due to the 7 year limit (which inturn will also help me) Any suggestions are welcome... 
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I go with CCC or should I do it myself agian?

Pro of using a CCC:
Interest rate reduction - usually about half.

Con:
All you accounts will be listed as "Managed by debt counseling" or something similar.
You will not be allowed to obtain new credit during your repayment term.

If you decide to use a ccc - MAKE SURE THEY ARE REPUTABLE!! Consumer Credit Counseling Service (CCCS) is a United Way organization that my DH uses and they have been great.
Message 2 of 3
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I go with CCC or should I do it myself agian?

In my case,  cc interest was cut from 29 to 4% (B of A)  Signature loan is 13%, but very small balance and I pay an additional $10/monthly up to $20/monthly, more if I can afford it.  When the signature is pif, I'll toss that $45 onto the cc portion.  Small Baby Steps.

Saving money trumps fico, imho.  You CAN keep a credit card open that's NOT included in your account, but don't app for any new cards or they can cancel you out.  So transfer whatever you can from a card to leave that open for yourself and pif that card monthly.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.