cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should an account of my wifes be on my credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should an account of my wifes be on my credit report?

My wife openeda credit card account with a dept. store before we married. After we got married she added me to the account as an authorized user although I have never used the acccount. This account now shows up on my credit report although I did'nt sign any agreement with this company.
Is this legal? and can I have it removed even though we are still married?
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should an account of my wifes be on my credit report?

Yes, it's legal, although the responsability for payment lies with her. You just get to collect the history and use the card if you choose to do so. Yes, she can have you removed as an AU but you will also loose the history associated with the account.
Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

SavannahMan wrote:
My wife openeda credit card account with a dept. store before we married. After we got married she added me to the account as an authorized user although I have never used the acccount. This account now shows up on my credit report although I did'nt sign any agreement with this company.

Since you are an AU, you have equal responsibility towards the account. People often add themselves to take advantage of the primary owner's good, long credit history and boost their scores. If you want, you can remove yourself. Just call the CC company and it should wear off your CR by the next reporting cycle. 
Message 3 of 32
fused
Moderator Emeritus

SavannahMan wrote:

Yes, this is legal and you potentially benefit from it.  The fact that your wife did this and is it legal, not sure.  But after reading this post, you shouldn't care.  Read on...By being an AU on your wife's dept store card and assuming there is nothing negative being reported on this card, you have a nice aging tradeline (TL) reporting on you credit reports.  If however, something is negative on this tl then it will ding your score.  If everything is positive, do not remove yourself as an AU.  You could potentially take a major hit to your scores.  By the way, do you know your FICO scores.
Message 4 of 32
fused
Moderator Emeritus

overdrive wrote:

SavannahMan wrote:

Since you are an AU, you have equal responsibility towards the account. People often add themselves to take advantage of the primary owner's good, long credit history and boost their scores. If you want, you can remove yourself. Just call the CC company and it should wear off your CR by the next reporting cycle. 

AU's have NO FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILTY, only the primary cardholder does.
Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

fused111 wrote:

overdrive wrote:

SavannahMan wrote:

AU's have NO FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILTY, only the primary cardholder does.

oops, I meant in the context of affect on credit scores + or -

Message 6 of 32
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, no worries!  We are all students and Tuscani is our Professor!Smiley Very Happy  One thing about being an AU and not knowing it is hopefully the primary cardholder is responsible.  Otherwise, in the future when you pull your cr's and suddenly its showing a negative tl, you have been given a nasty surprise present.Smiley Surprised
Message 7 of 32
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Dispute it as "not mine"
Message 8 of 32
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Tuscani wrote:
Dispute it as "not mine"

Huh? Why?
Message 9 of 32
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

fused111 wrote:

Tuscani wrote:
Dispute it as "not mine"

Huh? Why?

If the OP does not want the account on his reports he should dispute it. With that said, it's probably only helping him and there is no need to remove it as long as the payment history is good.

Message Edited by Tuscani on 05-30-2007 05:45 AM
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.