Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sometimes it's worth a shot

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes it's worth a shot

Just a little story to illustrate that there is always more than one way to skin a cat. I had a collection account that would not budge. It was sitting with a CA. I disputed via mail, DV'd, faxed, all in an effort to get a PFD....never a response and it just kept verifying. Typical CA. Finally I hunted down an employee directory and emailed the head cheese, VP of operations for collections, with my humble request for a PFD. I provided an explanation which he was not obliged to listen to. Yet much to my surprise, he replied "no problem, pay the balance and we'll instruct the CRA's to remove as a mistake." I paid on their site with a CC and emailed him the receipt. He's requesting the deletion, and also faxing me verification in case I have a problem with the CRA's.

It backs up my theory which has proven true more than once. You can put up the biggest fight in the world and never get anywhere. But if you keep trying different angles you might just catch that one person on a good day who can make it happen. Sometimes it all comes down to connecting to another human and not a corporate robot. Rarely works, but it CAN and has worked for me. One more collection bites the dust!

Message Edited by devhip on 05-22-2007 01:06 PM
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sometimes it's worth a shot

nice!!
i wish i knew about PFD before i paid a medicinal collection for $96 buck two months ago....too bad, i came across this forum a month after the payment.
Message 2 of 11
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Nice job,  I wish I had luck with getting PFD,   I'm 0  for 5 on them.
Message 3 of 11
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Awesome!
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you manage to find the employee list?  
Message 5 of 11
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

KDM,

Google is your friend!

Like the OP, I have written higher ups and gotten assistance!

I had one medical collection in which I called the hospital.  The CSR would not help me with a PFD (calling back from CA).  She told me the 'quickest way' to get it resolved would be to pay the CA!  She then told me if I paid her, she would tell CA to mark it paid/coll.  So I google for the CS Manager and the Hospital Administrator.  I emailed the CS Mgr and CC'd the Hospital Admin.  I was called in 5 min!  She said she understood the issues and said if I paid her right now she would remove from CA.  Done!

It can happen and sometimes honey does work better than vinegar.

ALSO - folks, don't ignore those CA notices... at times I have talked with them the day the first notice arrives, pay it right then (to the CA) under the (written via fax) agreement that they will not report.  Hasn't failed yet.

Message Edited by Momof5 on 05-22-2007 04:32 PM
Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
girlie
Regular Contributor

good job!  i too wish i knew about pfd when i had my collection accounts.  i have sent gw letters trying to get them deleted so i am crossing my fingers.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct, Google it. But look for links that reference the company indirectly, because this is where you will often find employee info. Dig through the links. Once you have a few names, figure out their email scheme if you don't have an employee email address to reference. Most companies follow one of a few common schemes:

first name/last name @ company.com
first initial/last name @ company.com
first name (period) last name @ company.com

I usually send to all 3. The incorrect addresses will bounce back, so usually you can tell if you get it right.

I realize that getting any results this way is the exception and not the rule. Most of the time it doesn't work. But if it works once, it's worth the few minutes of effort spent. The key is bypassing the cubicle drones and getting to someone who doesn't sit on the phone collecting all day. Someone who works in administration who is enough detached from the actual collection process that they are not entirely glossed over, jaded and robotic like the agents, and even the supervisors.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the removal of the collection. Thanks for the info, I will try the same for my husband.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great to hear success stories!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.