Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange letter in the mail

tag
oneboss302
Regular Contributor

Strange letter in the mail

It has been a while since I have needed assistance. I have a VERY strange letter that I recieved in the mail the other day. The address was hand written (very porly I might add) and it had a stamped return address on it with no name. Came from 6014 Bayberry Rd, Jacksonville Florida 32256.

I opened the letter and I found a bill from Sprint inside. Actually 3 copies of a bill. All for the same ammount and all different dates. (looks like a bad forgery too)

SOOOO, I googled the address and came up with ER Solutions. A Collection agency.

There was NO letter from them inside. NO markings on the envelope. NO dunning letter. NOTHING. Just these copies of the bills.

I had a run in with them about a year ago and asked them to provide me a contract that was signed by ME. They could not/ did not produce these doccuments and I still think this is a false debt they are trying to collect. 

What should I do? Again, there is NOTHING in this letter stating anything about an attempt to collect a debt. I wish I could take a photo of the letter but for security reasons I can't. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Strange letter in the mail

Since there's no time limit for a CA to respond to a DV, could it be that it's their version of validation to a DV (assuming you sent one)?

I'd call the OC and verify the validity of these bills (assuming you are within CRTP or SOL).

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Strange letter in the mail

Has either thr OC or the debt collector posted to your CR? 

An unexplained letter that does not identify the sender or its purpose is not responsive to anything. It is not a DV response unless it asserts to be so.

Did the debt collector previously send you a collection (dunning) letter?  Did you DV them?

I would think that if either the OC or debt collector has posted to your CR, the next step would probably be a direct dispute with the reporting party under FCRA 623(a)(8).

I certainly would not consider this as a Validation of a debt under FDCPA 809(b) 

Additionally, your prior request that the debt collector provide you copies of acount records from the OC is not part of a debt collector's obligation in validation of a debt. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.