Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TO DELETE OR NOT TO DELETE

tag
ashdown1967
New Contributor

TO DELETE OR NOT TO DELETE

Hello,

I have an account on my credit report that is affecting my credit score.  The account is now paid in full and shows that we paid as agreed, except we have four thirty days late payments in 07 and one sixty day late payment in 09  It has a six year credit history.

I was wondering since it is paid if we could get them to delete this account from our credit report will it hurt our credit score or help it.

Thanks for any response in advance

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: TO DELETE OR NOT TO DELETE

The 30-lates are minor derogs, and at 5 years, are having little impact.

Most posters report that 60-lates drop to approx the same impact as a 30-late after approx 2 years.

So the delinquencies are most likely not having significant scoring impact.

Once they are excluded at 7 years, the account will be positive.

Deletion of the account would result in loss of its age in scoring your average age of accounts, so if its age is currently higher than your AAoA, it would hurt.

It is at least 5 years old at this point, so I would guess that it is helping. 

Unless your AAoA is substantially greater than 5 years, I would leave it be.

Message 2 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@ashdown1967 wrote:

Hello,

I have an account on my credit report that is affecting my credit score.  The account is now paid in full and shows that we paid as agreed, except we have four thirty days late payments in 07 and one sixty day late payment in 09  It has a six year credit history.

I was wondering since it is paid if we could get them to delete this account from our credit report will it hurt our credit score or help it.

Thanks for any response in advance

Can you provide some additional information ?   What is your Average Age of accounts ?   Also what ( if any ) other negative information is on your credit reports ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 7
ashdown1967
New Contributor

Hello,

My oldest account is 19 yrs old and I also have about 8 other accounts that are 7 yrs old.  I asked because this account is one of the four accounts on my report that they have flagged in myfico as hurting my credit. 

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I'd go for the delete if possible. The 60 day late from 2009 will likely affect your score 'till the bitter end. I realize that's contrary to what people generally say but my score was dragged down by one remaining derogatory (60 day late) from 2005 until it fell off July 1st.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, how old is this account? Is it your oldest revolving and/or installment?

Message 6 of 7
ashdown1967
New Contributor

No it's not my oldest my oldest is 19 yrs old.  This one is six years old and it is flagged on my report as one of the accounts that is hurting my score.  It is paid in full and shows zero balance but the lates are still hurting my score.

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.