Valued Member
dragonheartt

Thinking about AMEX, but.......

I know they mostly pull EX, but can pull EQ.  My EX score is 680, with a couple of 30 day lates and a 60 day late from late 2004.  That is the only baddies!  I'm running about 40% utilization and looking at getting a good card to drop that.  I have paid off several accounts, basicallly because I didn't want to use them with my wife out of work.  I didn't realize at the time that closing these accounts would do more harm than good. So, how good of a chance do you think I would have with the AMEX?  If I apply, should it be for Gold Delta Skymiles or the Starwoods card?

Dragon
Moderator Emeritus
fused

Re: Thinking about AMEX, but.......

dragonheartt wrote:
I know they mostly pull EX, but can pull EQ.  My EX score is 680, with a couple of 30 day lates and a 60 day late from late 2004.  That is the only baddies!  I'm running about 40% utilization and looking at getting a good card to drop that.  I have paid off several accounts, basicallly because I didn't want to use them with my wife out of work.  I didn't realize at the time that closing these accounts would do more harm than good. So, how good of a chance do you think I would have with the AMEX?  If I apply, should it be for Gold Delta Skymiles or the Starwoods card?

Dragon

You should be approved for a Delta skymiles and Starwoods.  But you should try and GW the lates first and see if they get deleted and bring your util down to 1-9%.  These actions might later qualify you for a better Amex card, perhaps a Blue or Blue Cash.
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (11-08-2014): EQ 818, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1

Valued Member
dragonheartt

Goodwill letters were sent last week.  Chase was one of them, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I guess giving the letters about a month to see if I get a response wouldn't hurt.  Thanks for the response.

Dragon
Senior Contributor
Noah_Bodie

dragonheartt wrote:
My EX score is 680, with a couple of 30 day lates and a 60 day late from late 2004.
how good of a chance do you think I would have with the AMEX?

With a 680 EX, if you have no defaulted AMEX CCs in your past, and no BK on your CRs, you should have no trouble getting a Delta. With a 680, I'd recommend you try for Blue as well. If you apply same day, odds are good you'll get at most 1 pull per CRA--likely only EX and maybe also TU.

Valued Member
dragonheartt

Noah_Bodie wrote:

With a 680 EX, if you have no defaulted AMEX CCs in your past, and no BK on your CRs, you should have no trouble getting a Delta. With a 680, I'd recommend you try for Blue as well. If you apply same day, odds are good you'll get at most 1 pull per CRA--likely only EX and maybe also TU.

I'm alittle confused, is it the plain Delta Card or the Gold Delta that I should apply for?

Dragon
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

Delta Gold.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}