Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This site is a waste of $

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

This site is a waste of $

What are we paying for here?!  I paid $30.00 for 2 of the 3 credit scores and a "glance" at derogatorys on my acct.  I now will have to contact the bureaus to get the real information needed to clean up my report.  In no way was this site helpfull to me.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
kittygal
New Contributor

Re: This site is a waste of $

I'm having difficulty with your complaint.  If you purchased two standard FICO scores/credit reports from this site (TU and EQ), the reports provide detailed information regarding your credit history and valuable information regarding the impact of items in terms of how lenders will view your credit worthiness.

If you are having problems with viewing and seeing the detailed information provided, you should contact customer service for assistance.

This site has provided numerous individuals with guidance regarding improving and maintaining credit and has been invaluable to me.  I hope you obtain the assistance you need to interpret the reports you received.

Starting Score: 696
Current Score: TU 731 7/30/10 EQ 789 8/23/10
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

What are we paying for here?!  I paid $30.00 for 2 of the 3 credit scores and a "glance" at derogatorys on my acct.  I now will have to contact the bureaus to get the real information needed to clean up my report.  In no way was this site helpfull to me.

Hello.

I'm sorry you seem to have at first a disappointing opinion of myFICO but it's much more than just scores and reports. The knowledge and experience available here is second to none in my opinion.

I think most if not everyone who participates here has had or still has credit/debt/money management problems and they are here to learn how to make better decisions going forward and also how to correct mistakes made in the past. They also pass that help on to others asking for advice. I hope you will stick around and learn just how helpful the information here can be.

There are price discounts available online for the scores you buy here. Just do an internet search for "myFICO discount codes" to save a little money. And it's true that reports from third party sites (including myFICO) often don't have the most complete information. If you pull your free reports from annualcreditreport.com you can see all the information from all three CRA's.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 3 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

The credit report you got here, and infact any of the web sites that offer them are more than sufficent to help you clean up your credit report.  You are mostly paying for your FICO score here but it is still valuable even if you are working on cleaning up your credit report bacuse if you need to apply for credit, you will most likely have the score that will be used as part of the descion process.  Also you can access the many smart poeple in this forum who can help you work on your credit report.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

With all the credit report information out there, it still surprises me that people don't go to annualcreditreport.com to get their free reports at least once a year.  There is little point in buying your credit score until you first make sure your reports are correct.  Suzy Orman, Clark Howard, Oprah, CNN, Fox News, whoever you watch, they've ALL been reminding people of how to check their credit reports for FREE for a long time now.

With that said, when you buy your scores here at myfico, you still get the information in your credit report(s), plus information and links on how to fix mistakes you might find in them. 

Message 5 of 9
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

With all the credit report information out there, it still surprises me that people don't go to annualcreditreport.com to get their free reports at least once a year.

I know. Sometimes I get irritated too. Then an inner voice reminds me of a time before I knew myself. A time back when a mortgage was based on traditional ways of approval and credit cards were suspiciously easy to get. Even credit scores were present then, but we didn't bother to look at that page of the mortgage papers. Maybe we thought it was just some mortgage broker system.

There is little point in buying your credit score until you first make sure your reports are correct.

We know that now, those of us who know that is. But the advertisement world is bombarding us daily with free knockoffs that often don't show the actual reports. And even if they were put right in front of us on the coffee table by the couch, would we understand them and why it's important? People don't listen unless they want to. You can rationally encourage someone for years to wear a seat belt, but a $50 ticket will make that someone do it in a split second. If you suggest to the couch potato by the coffee table $50 in return for 10 minutes of credit reports, you too might see instant gratification.

Suzy Orman, Clark Howard, Oprah, CNN, Fox News, whoever you watch, they've ALL been reminding people of how to check their credit reports for FREE for a long time now.

Suze Orman was for several years the reason I steered clear of bookstores' personal finance section.

If I remember correctly, I first looked at my credit reports by way of the Currency Conversion Fee Antitrust Settlement, and it wasn't even until several months after I had tallied up my Visa bills from 1996 to 2006. But the reports, just EQ from annualcreditreport.com actually, left me discouraged from confusion.

It wasn't until the year after I got hooked. We had just picked up two new cards and a refinance. I was very motivated, so much in fact that I was able to approach a bookstore's personal finance section without the kind of trembling that may have caused a shelf to fall over.

Annual credit reports are free, but so is it to vote this coming midterm. Many there too won't.

Message 6 of 9
happy0510
Established Contributor

Personally, I first checked my score here on myfico a few years back and it was discouraging to say the least.  But, after joining this forum and learning from all the experienced folks here, I am on my way to a much brighter and responsible financial future.  Most of us have put in our time (7 years, etc...).  You are not alone!!

I hope you will stay on this forum and feel comfort in knowing there are many actions you can take to combat your derogatory items!!

HappySmiley Happy

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Message 7 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would agree that, if all you want is one complete credit report, the report you get for free, but only once a year, from annualcreditreport.com is superior to any other CR you can get directly as a consumer.  That includes the consuemr CR that you get on this site.

But unless you know what to do to correct problems you find in your CR. just getting your CR is normally not enough.  Addressing your CR is where score increases originate.

The value of this site, at least to me, is credit understanding, repair, and knowing how to deal with CR inaccuracies and problems.

I have checked out many, many consumer forums and sites that offer credit reporting and repair information.

I am, but no means, offering a sales pitch for myFICO.  I have no affiliation with Fair Isaac.  And posters on here very rarely, if ever, take postions that tow the line of what some might be wary of..... and that is possible bias towards Fair Isaac.

I have found the caliber of those who post on this site, bar none, to be the best I have found anywhere. Objective, knowledgeable, and constructive.

People who know the law, know procedures, and many who have work experience with the credit granting, collection and reporting industries.

That, to me, is far from a waste.  If, however, all you seek is the most accurate CR, and can deal with how to address problems yourself, then maybe this isnt the site for you.

Message 8 of 9
poet
Regular Contributor

About Suze (with an E) Orman: She is the reason I am here--and why we have a house, and why I have any credit cards at all, and why I'm much more responsible with my finances now than I was when I made 3-4x as much per year.

Others have pointed out the advantages of the boards here, which far outstrip many other places I've seen. You'll always find helpful people who've been there, done that; you'll determine the best way to fix problems and the order in which to do various complex steps; and you'll still be able to pull once a year for free at the real free site.

The advantage to buying 2/3 scores here (and you used to be able to get all 3 before EX went rogue) is that you can check more often than once a year, and you can choose from several ways to do that. I like to check every few months, and you really don't need to check more often than that unless you're about to make a major move (e.g., car, house). I personally don't care to wait a year to see all reports at once, nor do I want to pull one every four months (Suze's suggestion, BTW, if you don't want to pay at all). I prefer to pull all three fairly close together to see how consistently certain errors or baddies are reporting as I clean things up or pay things down.

The value-added here is the community and its collective wisdom, which will save you time and lots and lots of money. Hope you find this place worth your while. I know I have.

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 673 EQ, 681 TU, 650 EX
Goal Score: 720

Update April 1: TU 615/EQ624
Update June 28: TU 641/EQ 626
Update Sept 21: TU 681, EQ 673, EX 650 (FAKO)
I FINALLY got that car at the rate I wanted! Thanks, FICO Forums!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.