Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time it takes to update income section for a CLI

tag
Kevinception
Established Member

Time it takes to update income section for a CLI

Im planning on graduating soon and am about to start looking for a job that will pay significantly more in comparison than the one I currently have. My plan is to get a higher limit after finding that job, however, how long would it take for the new income to show on my "credit portfolio" (for lack of better terms), because I would want to get a pretty sizeable limit increase. Is it an instantenous thing or should i wait a few weeks or months for it to show for the CSRs?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: New job, Time to update portrolio

Your credit score does not take income into account. I would suggest that once you get the new position, you update each of your credit card lenders with the new income. You could also app for a CLI as they will ALWAYS ask for your income and it should update in their system. 

Like I said though, your income does not show up anywhere on your credit report. 

Message 2 of 5
Kevinception
Established Member

Do they usually just take your word for it when they ask for your income, or do they need proof, like a paystub or something?

Message 3 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Kevinception wrote:

Do they usually just take your word for it when they ask for your income, or do they need proof, like a paystub or something?

Mixed bag depending on lender and your statement.

A lot of times lenders won't, but if you've had a shift of income or no spending pattern, or particular lenders, they may ask for it.  Typically 2 paystubs is the common W2 payment verification if they ask.

        
Message 4 of 5
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Time it takes to update income section for a CLI

@Kevinception wrote:

Im planning on graduating soon and am about to start looking for a job that will pay significantly more in comparison than the one I currently have. My plan is to get a higher limit after finding that job, however, how long would it take for the new income to show on my "credit portfolio" (for lack of better terms), because I would want to get a pretty sizeable limit increase. Is it an instantenous thing or should i wait a few weeks or months for it to show for the CSRs?

Credit reports do not contain income information.  I think it's possible for lenders to obtain this information in some cases using various methods, but I would not assume that such methods are reliable.

In the case of Discover, if you ask for a CLI, they will ask your income, and this would be an opportune moment to supply them with your updated information.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.