Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will I see on my credit reports?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What will I see on my credit reports?

I recently had a conversation with someone at my local CU about a few things including doing a PC on my standard, boring Visa to a special product they have with a lower interest rate, etc. etc. I had been told by employees a few times in the past they didn't do such a thing, I'd just have to apply for the new card. This time, however I was talking to a higher up (b****ing about the way they treated our app for an auto loan). She said she could do it, but it would be a new card number. I said as long as it's not a new ACCOUNT, I was fine with that. She confirmed I didn't have any auto-pays or anything on the card since the card would be changing. I told her go for it, no auto-pays. 

That was about a week ago. The new account showed up online in a couple days right below the old one, same limit as the old one. Both are still there. My last payment info is showing on the new card, not the old one. The old one has some random date (2001 or something). 

Q: What do you think I'll see on my CRs if this goes through the way it's supposed to? Will I get myFico alerts? Or no since she said it's supposed to be a conversion, so technically the same account?

I'm not 100% convinced the old account will go away, which I can also live with. Except it would give me even less faith in my local CU to do what they say they'll do. I suppose if I continue to see both accounts, I try to use the old card somewhere and see what happens. :shrug: 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Atonswife
Contributor

Re: What will I see on my credit reports?

I believe the old acct would update to simply paid;closed. I don't think you'll be able to use the old card if the new card is now active and is a different acct number...which would also be the reason they asked you if anything was on auto pay. The old card should be deactivated. The TL for the Old card would still appear on your CR...basically the new card should simply act as a continuation of sorts for the old card. It's like how some get upgraded from a regular store card version to the major card version. One is closed and the other TL is created and becomes the continuation of the previous acct. Hope that makes sense. I'm sure the experts will definitely chime in.
As of 11/02/15:
EX-679, TU-707, EQ-690 (FICO 08),7/31/15 691 (FICO 04)
CAP ONE QS-$4,250, CAP ONE QS-$2K, CAP ONE VISA SIG-$7K, JETBLUE AMEX-$5K, DCU PLATINUM VISA-$6.5K, AMAZON STORE-$5k, BANANA REPUBLIC-$5k

AU ACCTS: CAP ONE QS-$1.5K, CAP ONE CLASSIC-3K, BLOOMINGDALES-$3K, NORDSTROMS-$1K
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What will I see on my credit reports?

@Atonswife wrote:
I believe the old acct would update to simply paid;closed. I don't think you'll be able to use the old card if the new card is now active and is a different acct number...which would also be the reason they asked you if anything was on auto pay. The old card should be deactivated. The TL for the Old card would still appear on your CR...basically the new card should simply act as a continuation of sorts for the old card. It's like how some get upgraded from a regular store card version to the major card version. One is closed and the other TL is created and becomes the continuation of the previous acct. Hope that makes sense. I'm sure the experts will definitely chime in.

What you described CR-wise sounds like a new account to me. If it becomes a new line on the CR, there's a new one and and old one. Hope that's not the case (assuming the old one ever appears closed). 

I thought about it and I guess it should be the same as when Freedom switched me from MC to Visa when it got a chip. No discernable change on the CR at all. I think that's what SHOULD happen. But seeing them both on my online account gives me no faith that is what WILL happen. 

Wonder what others think. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.