cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Withdraw from 401K to payoff balance of Credit card.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Withdraw from 401K to payoff balance of Credit card.

forgot to mention..check the former employers loan provisions..they sometimes still allow a former employee to borrow against their 401k if there is a loan provision..if u don't mind me asking who is the 401(k) carrier(fidelity,vanguard,etc)
Message 11 of 37
thotgal320
Frequent Contributor

I borrowed against my 401k and there were no penalties.  You must remember though that they will be taken payment out of you check every pay period.  At least that's how it was with me but I do agree with all rest if it is not a life and death don't borrow against it.
Message 12 of 37
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

I have the 401k account with vanguard and if I don't withdraw the money, I will roll it over to Massachusetts Wealth Management, my current company manage their 401K thru them.
Message 13 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok..if i am not mistaken i don't think vanguard offers the loan provision on the 401k plans it administers but, i could be wrong..
Message 14 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing to realize about borrowing from your 401k...  The loan payments you are now making are made from money that has already been taxed.  The money you borrowed was never taxed.  Once you have paid off the loan and are finally in the position to withdraw on the account (when you retire) all of the money will be taxed (AGAIN) at your current tax rate.  The tax bracket you are in when you withdraw the money.

In essence say you borrow $10k.  You repay this back with interest.  Say its a 1yr loan at 10% (easy math)  You pay back the $10k + $1k in interest with taxed money (This portion of your 401k has now been contributed as taxed money)

You now start withdrawing the money at 68yrs old.  You get taxed on the withdraw for the 2nd time on the $11k.  Not good.
Message 15 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

good point realworld but, if it's a matter of borrow or withdraw...i'd take the loan vs withdrawing with paying taxes and penalties..

Again, that's a great point you brought up...
Message 16 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

GN'sU-  Totally agreed.  If you must, take the loan over the complete withdraw.
Message 17 of 37
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

eddymvp wrote:
I'm planning on buying my first house by the end of the year. My current scores about EX: 598, EQ: 620, TU: 621. I owed about 20K in student loans and have an auto loan with the balance about 4K.

I have 3 credit cards:

HSBC: CL $1,700 Balance $1349.00
DCU: CL $1,000 Balance $566.00
Capital One: CL $1,000 Balance $386.00

I don't have any financial situation and I have improved my score by more than 50 points in the last 3 months. I got my job 6 months ago, I was able to move in to a nicer apartment and purchased new furnitures such as "bed room set, dining room set, living room set and a 42" inches plasma TV.

My goal is to have my fico score to 700 by the end of the year to be able to purchase my first home. I have a 401K from my previous employer with a balance of $1862.00 if I withdraw this money I have to pay a penalty and I will end up with about 60% of that money.

I would like to take that money and put it into the HSBC credit card to lower the balance and improve my score. I'm 25 years old and I'm not planning to put any money into the 401K until I'm 30 years old. Do you guy think this is a good idea to do this?

Message Edited by eddymvp on 03-18-2008 01:43 PM

Message Edited by eddymvp on 03-18-2008 01:45 PM

Nooooooooo! Don't do it! I'm probably going to repeat what others say (as I haven't read other posts), but it has to be said.

First off, you need to continue paying your debts as planned, but the only thing listed that impacts your score are your CC balances. Now assuming these are your only ones, your cards breakdown this way:

HSBC: 79.4% utilization
DCU: 56.6% utilization
CapOne: 38.6% utilization.

Total Util: 62.2%

FOR MAX IMPACT, your cards need to be like this (based on 7% (extra room for interest, etc)):

HSBC: $119
DCU: $70
CapOne: $70

Total: $259.

IN OTHER WORDS, you need to payoff $2,042 within the next nine months.

Can this be done? I'd say absolutely:

1) STOP contributing to a 401(k), temporarily. Doesn't make sense to save at a guesstimate of 12% when you have CC rates above 12% (HSBC and probably CapOne).
2) STOP using the CCs. Cut them up if you need to; you can always reorder them later.
3) Pay off $2042 in CCs. I'd pay at least one balance to $0 but pay by the end of month #8.
4) Before you even think that you can't get over $2k, think again!
    a) Sell the TV. Which is more important: TV or the house? You could always buy another one later. Could the TV fetch at least $750?
    b) Because there is no TV, cancel the cable. There's nothing good on TV anymore anyway. Is cable at least $50 per month? That is at least $450 saved!
    c) Sell the furniture. You could always buy more later after you move into that new house. Could you get at least $1000 for all of it? Plus you save on moving costs.
    d) Try a part-time job somewhere or work extra at the one you've got now. If you need $2k, a min-wage job (and I know you could do better) working only 10 hours per week for the next 36 weeks would produce over $2500 extra in income. Taxes might push it to $2k, but that is all you need.
    e) Sell stuff. Put Ebay or Craigslist to work for you. If you are going to move, you'll probably have a bunch of useless junk to move anyway. Get rid of it and make some money.
    f) Adjust your paycheck's witholding status. If you don't have anyone to take care of, put 2 or 3 dependents anyway. If you received a refund for 2007, you gave the govt. and interest free loan. Take some of that money back.
    g) I could go on but you get the idea.
5) If you only need $2042, well, that's $256 per month for the next 8 months. With all the possibilities out there, do you think you can find $256 per month?

If you apply the suggestions above, you'll have over $4700 based on these conservative figures. That will give you over $2600 to do with as you need, like utility deposits, repairs, painting, moving costs, etc (new furniture, tv).

NOW, I'm going to go the other way....What will it cost you if you do use that 401(k) for debt?

You said 40%. That's high. It is actually more and here's how it is calculated. Let's assume you did cash it out and paid for your TV and furniture (the cause for the CC debt) with the 401(k) money. Yes, it's 40%, but it would have likely grown at a paltry 12% this year. You are now paying 52% for a TV and furniture!!! Would you ever use a CC with a 52% interest rate?!

It gets worse, had you kept that money in the 401(k), based on your $1862 figure growing at 12% per year without adding to it, and assuming you kept it for at least 40 more years, you would have $220,924.71!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you like that TV and furniture now??? I hope that 42" is worth that! BTW, had you kept that money up to year 2062, you'd hit the $1,000,000 mark.

Just having fun. No criticisms. Good luck on the new home and whatever you do, we all wish you the best.
Message 18 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kuddos on that post llecs
Message 19 of 37
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

llecs, your suggestion is great, but I don't need to sell  the furnitures or the TV or neither get a 2nd job. The last two months I have been able to save about $800 dollars a month after paying all my bills and utility. In the last 3 months I've been paying $500 on the credit card, so I can stop saving and pay more toward the balance of the credit card and once I paid off my credit cards, I will start saving again to have the down payment for the house. I can pay $600 dollars toward the cards next month. 

Should I paid off the whole balance on my capital one card since its the lowest balance I have and then put about $150 toward the other two cards? 

Message Edited by eddymvp on 03-18-2008 06:55 PM

Message Edited by eddymvp on 03-18-2008 07:09 PM
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.