Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old debt

tag
tri3nity
Contributor

old debt

Don't hate me, but i was a ca for 7 years (was told by many debtors that i was too nice and in the wrong business) I practiced compassion when dealing with people who owed whatever client I was dealing with. I quickly learned the difference between who couldn't pay and who just didn't want to pay. Well, anyways, now I am on the receiving end and not getting the same consideration. I was married for  3 years and everything was in my name because I had excellent credit. Now I'm sitting at a fico score of 517 because I was dumb enough to believe him when he said that he would pay his half of the credit card bills, furniture notes, etc. They are now 4 years old and I'm in a better position to start paying. The sol in Texas is 4 years, but they remain on your credit still for the 7 years, I know that much from being a ca. Can anyone tell me from experience if it will improve my credit score any to pay these? I have new credit and I don't want these to stay on my credit from the date of last activity which they will. You pay $5 and it starts over, no matter how much you owe. (never do this) It's a trick that I've seen some ca's use. They call it a good faith payment.  But, if it will improve my credit any, I would like to know so that I can make the best decision.

Starting Score: 1/2011 TU 539 EQ 481
Current Score: 2/2011 TU 542 EQ 489 EX 505
Goal Score: 620+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: old debt

I believe by paying old collections it can hurt in the end. By making payment or PIF it makes everything a current account. If you want them off your report try a PFD.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: old debt

tri3nity wrote:
Don't hate me, but i was a ca for 7 years (was told by many debtors that i was too nice and in the wrong business) I practiced compassion when dealing with people who owed whatever client I was dealing with. I quickly learned the difference between who couldn't pay and who just didn't want to pay. Well, anyways, now I am on the receiving end and not getting the same consideration. I was married for  3 years and everything was in my name because I had excellent credit. Now I'm sitting at a fico score of 517 because I was dumb enough to believe him when he said that he would pay his half of the credit card bills, furniture notes, etc. They are now 4 years old and I'm in a better position to start paying. The sol in Texas is 4 years, but they remain on your credit still for the 7 years, I know that much from being a ca. Can anyone tell me from experience if it will improve my credit score any to pay these? I have new credit and I don't want these to stay on my credit from the date of last activity which they will. You pay $5 and it starts over, no matter how much you owe. (never do this) It's a trick that I've seen some ca's use. They call it a good faith payment.  But, if it will improve my credit any, I would like to know so that I can make the best decision.

If you have a CO being reporting by an OC.....these hurt big time!!!  being reported by a CA not so bad.   Keep in mind that SOL ends the last day of the month reported. So If it is 5/2004.....they have untill 5/31 to file....do not touch it until 6/01

It is always better to deal with the OC  with a PFD IF they still own the account.

Never dispute any account as if verified it will update and to FICO look like a new baddie.

Call the OC and ask if it is assigned or sold.  If they own it  first dispute it .....when they verify....send them the OC letter!     Then if you can PIF  send them a PFD along with the past SOL letter.

Im cheap....I will not pay if they will not accept a PFD  but that is just me.......If you pay without a PFD it will remain on your CR as   CO  paid.......FICO treats paid & unpaid COs  the same!!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.