Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question regarding creditcard with no forex fee

tag
creditfan
Established Contributor

question regarding creditcard with no forex fee

hello everyone,

I assume that creditcards may have two ways charge if we use them oversea. that is one from issuer in US, other is from local currency seller.

so let's say, I am planning travel to Singapore and using my cap1 (which is no forex fee) for shopping and daily purchases. Since I know I won't be charged fee from my cc issuer, but I wonder if am I charged from local currency merchant at that country? so do I have to ask them before making any purchases?

please shed me some light

thank you

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: question regarding creditcard with no forex fee

No.  You don't need to convert the currency... this would be more costly, if the merchant even offers it.

Just use your card like you normally would, paying for transactions in the local currency.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 5
creditfan
Established Contributor

sorry I totally new to this and never experienced it

that's why I'd like to ask before making any transaction outside of U.S

just want to be cleared myself, and I'm not talking about the currency conversion

so do I incur any directly surcharged fee for transactions that I made from any particular local merchant?

sorry if all posts confusing you,

thank you

Message 3 of 5
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

The merchant doesn't care what country, bank, or credit union your card is from.  As long as it says Visa they will take it, without surcharges.  If they try to charge you more because of your race, color, gender, religion, or national origin, then you need to stop shopping at that store.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@creditfan wrote:

so do I have to ask them before making any purchases?

No but if you want to avoid the possiblity of being declined you might want to notify them ahead of time that you'll be traveling overseas and using your card.

@creditfan wrote:

so do I incur any directly surcharged fee for transactions that I made from any particular local merchant?

You shouldn't.  That doesn't mean that a merchant won't try.  If they do then notify Visa or MasterCard (whichever applies to your card).

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.