Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accelerators - Biweekly Mortgage Payments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Accelerators - Biweekly Mortgage Payments

Oops, one more thing I forgot to add.  This is not a budget thing.  We are middle income and retired seniors and have no debt other than our house payment.  I mention this only because some of the posts referred to budgeting or tied it to when paychecks come, which is also budgeting. 

Message 11 of 17
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As an afterthough, I just used a bimonthly calculator (actually they called it a biweekly calculator) to see what the difference is between monthly mortgage payments and bimonthly mortgage payments (two half payments per month).  It was very interesting.  Here's the results:

Loan = $177,000

Term = 30 years

Interest = 3.625%

Monthly Payments = 807.21 for 30 years with total interest of $113,595.54

Bimonthly Payments = $403.61 for 27 years with total interest of $96,216.27

The only catches are; some banks aren't setup for bimonthly payments and some banks only apply any payments made, during the month, on a certain day of the month, but if your loan doesn't have a prepayment penalty, which most loans don't, then it seems that they couldn't do that.

To avoid the confusion: 

What you are contemplating is in fact a biweekly mortgage payment system.  It pays 1/2 of your normal payment every two weeks, not twice per month.

Bimonthly mortgages are pretty rare, mostly because there isn't any real benefit to them. You will not save any money on interest by paying one half of your normal monthly payment only twice per month. (technically, you will save a small amount due to the very first payment paying a couple of weeks early - but it's like $100) 

You only save money on a biweekly beacuse you are paying 1/2 of the monthly amount every two weeks.  This is effectively paying an extra 1/12 of a payment every month in addition to the normal payment.

For people who get paid every two weeks, this allows them to pay extra on their mortgage without really feeling that they are.  It kind of tricks your mind into not noticing that you are paying ahead on the mortgage a little bit each month.  The savings add up and your mortgage is paid off early.  It's not a bad setup if you wouldn't do the work to budget in extra principal payments.

While pre-payment penalties have pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird, there is still an issue with making biweekly payments on a monthly loan.

The interest is still going to be compounded monthly.  It's in the contract that way.  Yes you can make extra payments whenever you want to without penalty.  But they will be applied to the principal after that month's interest has been calculated.  You might as well just pay the extra amount when you pay your regular payment on your mortgage.  Paying mid-month isn't going to provide you any benefits over adding the same amount to your regular payment.

That is why the company you referenced can't make true biweekly payments.  They have to do the same thing you would: add the extra 1/12 of a payment to each regular monthly payment.  All they do is collect your "biweekly" payments every two weeks and then turn around and pay the monthly bill with the extra amount.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion. 

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 12 of 17
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@bobebob wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As an afterthough, I just used a bimonthly calculator (actually they called it a biweekly calculator) to see what the difference is between monthly mortgage payments and bimonthly mortgage payments (two half payments per month).  It was very interesting.  Here's the results:

Loan = $177,000

Term = 30 years

Interest = 3.625%

The only catches are; some banks aren't setup for bimonthly payments and some banks only apply any payments made, during the month, on a certain day of the month, but if your loan doesn't have a prepayment penalty, which most loans don't, then it seems that they couldn't do that.

To avoid the confusion: 

What you are contemplating is in fact a biweekly mortgage payment system.  It pays 1/2 of your normal payment every two weeks, not twice per month.

Bimonthly mortgages are pretty rare, mostly because there isn't any real benefit to them. You will not save any money on interest by paying one half of your normal monthly payment only twice per month. (technically, you will save a small amount due to the very first payment paying a couple of weeks early - but it's like $100) 

You only save money on a biweekly beacuse you are paying 1/2 of the monthly amount every two weeks.  This is effectively paying an extra 1/12 of a payment every month in addition to the normal payment.

For people who get paid every two weeks, this allows them to pay extra on their mortgage without really feeling that they are.  It kind of tricks your mind into not noticing that you are paying ahead on the mortgage a little bit each month.  The savings add up and your mortgage is paid off early.  It's not a bad setup if you wouldn't do the work to budget in extra principal payments.

While pre-payment penalties have pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird, there is still an issue with making biweekly payments on a monthly loan.

The interest is still going to be compounded monthly.  It's in the contract that way.  Yes you can make extra payments whenever you want to without penalty.  But they will be applied to the principal after that month's interest has been calculated.  You might as well just pay the extra amount when you pay your regular payment on your mortgage.  Paying mid-month isn't going to provide you any benefits over adding the same amount to your regular payment.

That is why the company you referenced can't make true biweekly payments.  They have to do the same thing you would: add the extra 1/12 of a payment to each regular monthly payment.  All they do is collect your "biweekly" payments every two weeks and then turn around and pay the monthly bill with the extra amount.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion. 

I agree, but also, in the past higher-yield days:

They have to do the same thing you would: add the extra 1/12 of a payment to each regular monthly payment.  All they do is collect your "biweekly" payments every two weeks and then turn around and pay the monthly bill with the extra amount.

This is/was one of the great attractions to the servicing orgs (who often are the banks).  They collect the money every two weeks but only have to credit it once a month, basically you are giving them an interest free gift for two weeks every month.    When i first got offered this 20 years ago, I was amazed.  Not only do they get an interest free use of my money, they also charge a set up fee, and a fee for each payment!   Nice work if you can get the suckers to play along

Message 13 of 17
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

paying half the mortgage on the 1st and the other half on the 15th?

you dont save a ton doing that. maybe $120 per yr on a $100k mortgage? <= off the top of my head

making a half payment every two weeks(13 payments per yr) is where the accelleration is....

Retired Lender
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bobebob, you nailed it and so did some others (thank you).  My misunderstanding was caused by my opinions that were formed by the weasel-worded information that came from the company that introduced me to the biweekly payment concept and by scanning the little research I did rather than reading it all.

Here is a good read I found this morning that explains biweekly payments and provides additional related info:

"If you have a mortgage, you may have received an invitation from a bank or mortgage servicing company to make your payments biweekly.

The upside: paying half of your mortgage every two weeks coincides evenly with many paycheck schedules. Plus, buyers can pay off the mortgage six to eight years early.

The downside: many of the programs come with a hefty price tag. If you are interested in paying half of your mortgage every two weeks instead of making one full payment every month, get detailed information on your bank's program, including all the fees and charges.

More important, with some self-discipline you can get the same results for free.

Myths and advantages

Savvy consumers need to understand what biweekly mortgage programs will and will not do for them. Here are two common misunderstandings:

• Myth No. 1: Paying your mortgage twice a month gives you better credit.
    Wrong. Banks often use an automatic bank draft for their biweekly plans, which means all your mortgage payments will be made on time -- and that will help your credit. But you can get the same effect on a monthly plan using electronic bill paying or an automatic bank draft.

• Myth No. 2: Paying twice a month reduces the compound interest on your mortgage.
    Wrong. In fact, even though you are paying biweekly, chances are your loan servicing institution is paying your loan monthly. Which means that if you buy into a biweekly plan, you are actually loaning the servicing company half of your mortgage payment -- interest free -- for at least two weeks every month.

What will chop away at your interest are the two additional half-payments going toward the principal each year. In other words, by making 26 payments of half your mortgage, you are in effect making 13 monthly payments instead of the customary 12.

Depending on the terms of your loan -- and who you ask -- one extra payment a year will enable you to pay for your house an average of six to eight years ahead of schedule.

The price tag
Biweekly payment programs are easy, but the convenience comes at a cost. Many lenders offer two ways to pay: upfront or as you go.

Of the top five mortgage-servicing institutions, four charge enrollment fees that range from $295 to $379. Three also levy additional charges on every transaction. If you want to pay as you go -- without the hefty upfront charge -- fees from the same top five servicers average from $4 to $9 a month.

Is it for you?

If you are wowed by the convenience of having the bank automatically draft a payment that coincides with your biweekly paycheck, don't have much discipline when it comes to money and don't mind the extra fees, then you might want to consider a biweekly payment schedule.

Some questions to ponder:

1.How long are you planning to stay in your house? Granted, any extra money you pay to your mortgage will likely come back as equity when you sell. But if you're looking for a good deal from a biweekly payment plan, you want to be in the house a substantial number of years. "If I were going to stay five or six years, I'd take the money and put it to better use," says Chris Farrell, co-host of the nationally syndicated public radio show Sound Money.

2. How close is retirement?If you'll soon be receiving your retirement money monthly, do you want to spend money setting up a biweekly payment plan?

3. Would an early payoff on your mortgage facilitate other planned financial goals, like sending kids to college, changing careers or early retirement? Or would it make those plans more difficult?

4. Is there a better way to spend this money? "Do you have a Roth IRA?" Farrell says. "Are you making the maximum contribution to your retirement? Something about owning your own home is satisfying. But when you're talking about looking at your home as an investment, look at all the investments you could be making with that money."

Free alternatives to biweekly programs

While hundreds of thousands of mortgage holders have signed up for biweekly payment programs, they represent only a tiny fraction of the overall number of mortgage holders, according to estimates from the top five loan service providers.

A true biweekly mortgage -- one that you set up when you buy your house or when you refinance -- is rare. Not every lender offers them. In any case, remember that it's possible to get many of the same benefits of a biweekly payment schedule for free.

Here's how:

1. Pay an additional one-twelfth of your mortgage each month. Designate on your coupon that the amount should go against the principal.

2. Contact your loan service agent and find out if you may start sending a half-payment every two weeks without enrolling in their biweekly program. Some banks flat out won't allow it. In some cases, the loan agreement prohibits partial payments. Some mortgage servicing companies will permit it -- but you must write out very specific instructions with each check so that they know where and how to apply the money. If your mortgage institution doesn't seem willing to oblige, don't try this option.

3. If you get a bonus or tax refund each year, add the equivalent of one extra payment to your mortgage. Again, tell the bank that the additional money goes toward the principal.

4. If you get paid biweekly, take half of your mortgage payment from each check and put it in a savings account. At the beginning of the month, write your mortgage check from that account. At least twice a year you'll be including the equivalent of an extra half-payment. Specify on the mortgage coupon that the additional money goes against principal."

My THANKS to all.

Message 15 of 17
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Loan = $177,000

Term = 30 years

Interest = 3.625%

My personal opinion...

When you file taxes, you take one months mortgage payment from your taxes and apply it to the principle of your loan. Just make sure you also pay your normal mortgage payment also. This will knock off several more years and save you many more thousands of dollars.

Now I know many do not get money back in their returns, but if you set your time table to make the extra payment, set it by the tax date of April 15th. Easy date to remember.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The savings might not be much, but you will save by splitting your payments up. The reason is in the interest calclation. You pay half a payment, and you've paid off accrued interest, as well as redused the balance (some.) Another half payment and you will again pay off the interest and reduse the balance (again, only some.) Contrast that with allowing an entire month of interest accrual at the startign month balance. You pay one payment and you pay off the interest, and pay down the balance. The interest paid in a month will be less if you pay more often, but cut your payments down. You could also pay weekly, and the same would be achieved. As has ben stated, the real savings comes from the "extra" payment made. And again there would be no point in paying someone to do this. 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.