Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big changes this year - please share your lifetime wisdom

tag
dang729
Valued Member

Big changes this year - please share your lifetime wisdom

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. 

Big changes in 2015

- getting engaged/married to my girlfriend of 8 years (hopefully in july)

- received promotion and job in career - income is 70K per year salaried 

- would like to buy a new car (current car is OLD)

- would like to apply for a mortgage for a single family home or condo

Just an FYI - I REALLY need a new car, I currently have a 96 civic with 275K miles which needs a lot of work on it. It's getting to the point where I'm getting scared to drive it because I know it's going to break down anytime soon.

A bit of financial info:

- credit scores from here are between 640-660

- one collection (student loan in repayment) and one charge off from 2010

- a few lates on student loans in early 2012

Monthy income after taxes and insurance/401k is roughly $3400. I pay $1000 per month in student loans and help my mom out with mortgage/bills $500 per month.

In the past month I have been able to save $1000.

I'd like to hear people's opinions on the best course of action for achieving these big changes this year. I haven't bought a car because I read on here that a new car loan will be very bad for mortgage lenders; however, I'm not sure if I would even qualify for a mortgage with my student loan collection of $8K.

What would you do in my case? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Big changes this year - please share your lifetime wisdom

rehabilitate the student loan.... if you are paying, they should take it out of collections.

talk to the guarantor(not the servicer) about your options.

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 4
Pway
Valued Contributor

@dang729 wrote:

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. 

Big changes in 2015

- getting engaged/married to my girlfriend of 8 years (hopefully in july)

- received promotion and job in career - income is 70K per year salaried 

- would like to buy a new car (current car is OLD)

- would like to apply for a mortgage for a single family home or condo

Just an FYI - I REALLY need a new car, I currently have a 96 civic with 275K miles which needs a lot of work on it. It's getting to the point where I'm getting scared to drive it because I know it's going to break down anytime soon.

A bit of financial info:

- credit scores from here are between 640-660

- one collection (student loan in repayment) and one charge off from 2010

- a few lates on student loans in early 2012

Monthy income after taxes and insurance/401k is roughly $3400. I pay $1000 per month in student loans and help my mom out with mortgage/bills $500 per month.

In the past month I have been able to save $1000.

I'd like to hear people's opinions on the best course of action for achieving these big changes this year. I haven't bought a car because I read on here that a new car loan will be very bad for mortgage lenders; however, I'm not sure if I would even qualify for a mortgage with my student loan collection of $8K.  We all want to own our home some day, however I would wait.  I would focus on getting that collection account taken care of.  As you stated you need a car, I would go and get that car.  

What would you do in my case? 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 4
dang729
Valued Member

Thanks so much for that. 

In your opinion, would a 25,000 car be unwise? I do want to save as much as possible to take care of the collection.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.