Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FORECLOSURES AND SHORT SALES- EFFECTS ON RESALE VALUES

tag
Myhearts
Frequent Contributor

FORECLOSURES AND SHORT SALES- EFFECTS ON RESALE VALUES

Hey All,

Hearts here.  Quick question.  Got a neighbor with a beautiful home that is now in foreclosure.  Home is: 4bd, 2-1/2 baths, fireplace, family room, lr/dr, full walkout basement.  Size is: 3200 sq. feet.  Home has been on the market for 321 days.  My house is similar with exception of fireplace and is 2600 sq. ft.  My home was recently appraised (6months ago, if that's recent) for $345K.  She has the biggest model in our subdivision and was last appraised at $370k.  She has dropped the selling price 3 times and now has her home listed at $299K.  How is this going to effect us when we try to sell our homes if she sells hers at that amount?

Hearts
I can and will be a part of the 700 club this year, because I can do all things through Christ.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: FORECLOSURES AND SHORT SALES- EFFECTS ON RESALE VALUES

It depends on if there has been a lot of distressed sales in your neighborhood.  If this is the only one, and all of the other recent sales are in the $350-370k range, then your value should hold up.  If there aren't many sales, or have been quite a few distressed sales, might bring your value down to the $260-280k range.  Do you still keep in touch with your real estate agent?  If so ask them to email you all of the sales in your neighborhood over the past 6 months plus the current listings, so you can get a feel of what your home's value likely is.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 5
Myhearts
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I do keep in touch with her.  I will ask for that list. 

Thanks, Shane.

Evelyn
I can and will be a part of the 700 club this year, because I can do all things through Christ.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hearts- I just wanted to respond from a buyers perspective.  We just bought in a modest, well-maintained, cozy, neighborhood.  When we studied the comps, 2 houses sold CONSIDERABLY lower (our house 130,000, these two houses well under 100,000).  However, most of the comps had sold for a bit higher than our house (by about 10,000).  I was more focused on the houses with the higher sales prices.  If there were more of the low prices, I would have been concerned, but not since there were only two.  Does that make sense?

-iwannahouse
Message 4 of 5
Myhearts
Frequent Contributor

Iwannahouse,

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. 

Thank you

Hearts
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.