Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few Questions

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Few Questions

So BF and I are looking at houses potentially this year. My questions are:

Since he is the primary bread winner will the mortgage company be more concerned about his credit report versus mine? Like both of our names will be on the application but my CR will end up being better is my guess, will that make any difference? He makes 32ish+k and i make 7 - 10k (part time job, full time student)

Also i am going to end up closing cards or have them auto close should i do it before mortgage hunting? I understand some companies dont like huge amounts of credit limits when being given. Is there a magic ratio to income? Like currently my limits are 20+ish and our combined income is roughly 40 - 42k but if its going to be seperate then 20+k just on my report while he has like 4k on his report. So should i try to lower my cards but closing the non used ones? Or do you think we wil be fine?

We will be first time homebuyers is there down payment assistance programs out there? 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Lemmus
Established Contributor

Re: Few Questions

@Skye12329 wrote:

So BF and I are looking at houses potentially this year. My questions are:

Since he is the primary bread winner will the mortgage company be more concerned about his credit report versus mine? Like both of our names will be on the application but my CR will end up being better is my guess, will that make any difference? He makes 32ish+k and i make 7 - 10k (part time job, full time student)

Also i am going to end up closing cards or have them auto close should i do it before mortgage hunting? I understand some companies dont like huge amounts of credit limits when being given. Is there a magic ratio to income? Like currently my limits are 20+ish and our combined income is roughly 40 - 42k but if its going to be seperate then 20+k just on my report while he has like 4k on his report. So should i try to lower my cards but closing the non used ones? Or do you think we wil be fine?

We will be first time homebuyers is there down payment assistance programs out there? 

...the lender will use the mid score of the buyer with the lowest mid score ...don't "guess" lest you get close to your buy date only to find you don't qualify ...the fee myFico charges for an accurate 3 bureau report with both fico 8 (credit card) and fico 4 (mortgage) scores is, imnsho, well worth the cost to either alleviate any concerns or allow you time to fix any surprises.

...don't close any cards ...the cons for doing so far outweigh the pros imnsho, especially just before a mortgage app ...if you want more info on this look at the credit repair forum

...every state I know of has down payment assistance programs for low to moderate incomes ...it usually varies by county ...in my experience, the web site info quality is confusing/abysmal as is the average bureaucrat answering your questions ...not to mention most LOs ...but if you do your homework and ask well documented questions here, you should get the info you need ...look at the pinned threads at the top of this forum for Shane's list of info needed to provide the best mortgage related answers.

...you're asking good questions ...hope my answers help Smiley Happy

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 2 of 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Few Questions

Agree with Lemmus 100%.

• Don't close any credit cards before or during your mortgage application.
  • Pull your 3B report here to see what your mortgage scores are - they will be the same one's the lender pulls
  • DPA programs are available through your county and your state and other resources too. Start with HUD.gov
  • Don't forget about USDA programs that may be available in your area
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.