Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOUSING BILL 2008

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HOUSING BILL 2008

I can totally see your perspective and honestly, it sounds like a great plan.  I just see this being a bad thing for some that are not as fiscally responsible as you are. I also think it should be marketed to the public as an interest free LOAN and not anything else. Because that's really what it is.

fevmlo wrote:
I personally cannot WAIT to get our tax credit, interest-free loan or not. We'll be using it to pay off the remainder of our car loan, instantly making us $430 a month better off. Sure, it's not going to put more people in houses who absolutely, positively cannot afford to buy one - but it would hardly be a good idea if it did, would it...? But as first-time buyers without an existing property to sell have more of a chance (all things considered) of buying anything right now, it might be a deciding factor for anyone who's almost convinced they want to buy but wavering a bit. Even if it just means they can pay off the remainder of an existing loan, credit card or whatever, after they buy the house - or if they're lucky enough not to have any existing debts, put it towards decorating and furnishing the place, or stick it in savings in case they suddenly find themselves needing a new furnace... yeah, I think it's a pretty good thing. We'd already closed on our house and been living in it for about six weeks by the time this bill was announced, but I have to say I was delighted when I realised we'd qualify for that money. By January, our one remaining credit card balance will be gone, and then we'll just about be able to pay off the car with what we get from the tax credit plus the refund we'd have had anyway. Leaving us with no debts other than the mortgage and the debt to the government - and I'd rather have an interest-free loan paid back at $500 a year than an interest-bearing one paid back at almost that per month, even if the interest free one will take much longer to pay back!

Maybe that's just me, though... but yep, we are VERY pleased with that part of the housing bill! Smiley Happy

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 09-10-2008 06:12 PM
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I think you're definitely right there, as a lot of the reporting I've seen on the subject has failed to mention that you have to pay the money back - and it's not as though everyone's going to research into these things as obsessively as some of us! And for people who rely on their tax refund each year just to scrape by, or who end up owing money rather than getting a refund and will now find themselves owing more... yeah, that would be a disaster waiting to happen. I think even if it had been 'free' money my instinct would have been entirely to pay off what we owe and then enjoy the freedom of having more money each month - but knowing that it's something we have to pay back, there is no WAY I'd have wanted to blow it on buying new things if it was just going to result in us being in exactly the same financial situation and then having to give it back bit by bit. No thanks!

So yep, I AM very very much looking forward to it, but because I think it will be a really good thing for us... but it is being marketed weirdly, you're right, and I agree with you totally about it maybe not being the amazing idea it's cracked up to be in some cases. Was talking about that with my husband after we first found out about it, and I can't tell you how glad I was when I said 'we should pay the car off' and he agreed - I'd been dreading him saying 'right, we're buying a couch, and decorating the bedrooms, and blah blah blah blah blah'!! I'm on a mission to get us out of debt as far as is possible (ie a mortgage is fairly unavoidable unless you're rolling in cash!), and that is going to help us do it! That's why I'm so delighted with the whole thing. Smiley Very Happy

UpUpUp wrote:
I can totally see your perspective and honestly, it sounds like a great plan.  I just see this being a bad thing for some that are not as fiscally responsible as you are. I also think it should be marketed to the public as an interest free LOAN and not anything else. Because that's really what it is.

fevmlo wrote:
I personally cannot WAIT to get our tax credit, interest-free loan or not. We'll be using it to pay off the remainder of our car loan, instantly making us $430 a month better off. Sure, it's not going to put more people in houses who absolutely, positively cannot afford to buy one - but it would hardly be a good idea if it did, would it...? But as first-time buyers without an existing property to sell have more of a chance (all things considered) of buying anything right now, it might be a deciding factor for anyone who's almost convinced they want to buy but wavering a bit. Even if it just means they can pay off the remainder of an existing loan, credit card or whatever, after they buy the house - or if they're lucky enough not to have any existing debts, put it towards decorating and furnishing the place, or stick it in savings in case they suddenly find themselves needing a new furnace... yeah, I think it's a pretty good thing. We'd already closed on our house and been living in it for about six weeks by the time this bill was announced, but I have to say I was delighted when I realised we'd qualify for that money. By January, our one remaining credit card balance will be gone, and then we'll just about be able to pay off the car with what we get from the tax credit plus the refund we'd have had anyway. Leaving us with no debts other than the mortgage and the debt to the government - and I'd rather have an interest-free loan paid back at $500 a year than an interest-bearing one paid back at almost that per month, even if the interest free one will take much longer to pay back!

Maybe that's just me, though... but yep, we are VERY pleased with that part of the housing bill! Smiley Happy

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 09-10-2008 06:12 PM

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad to see that this thread has brought a 50/50 response in people's views. My view is 100% positive, I'm left handed so my thinking can be different sometimesSmiley Very Happy  I believe that today's 1st time homebuyers are very educated & prepared for their 1st home. Even if you chose not to be inform, most lenders today require you to take a Homebuyers classes if you're putting less than 20% down, secondly just look at the forums here.............you guys need to give yourselves a pat on the back on your education & awareness. I consider us the NEW 1st Time Homebuyers Generation; back then the 1st time homebuyers from the market CRAZED past were uneducated & rushed into something that they were not prepared for.  Now with that said you have to ask yourself.  Would I go to Jennifer Convertibles & purchase furniture for my new home because they are offering zero down, zero payments & zero interest until 2015?  OF course you would...because you know as well as I do that as long as you pay it off in full before the end of the term......it didn't cost you any extra money........... Now that's the way I see the Tax Credit, if IRS is giving/loaning $7500.00 to be paid back in 10-15 years and it still cost $7500.00 why not take it.   Go to your local bank and see how much a personal loan will run you at today's rates on a  5 year loan.   That same $7500 will probably cost about $8500-9000.  OR beter yet how about you borrow that $7500. from you retirement or 401(k) account and pay that back plus interest for 5 years...  AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE???   Or how about you ask someone you know that already purchased their first home if they did 110% financing so that they could do repairs on the home...  That extra 10% is probably hurting them (1) they have to pay it back for 360 months (2) with the current housing slump they owe more money than the house is worth.....My suggestion, if you qualify for it...take it........and use it wisely.........GOOD LUCK
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just my humble opinion here, but the best possible use for this 'tax credit' / interest free loan would be to pay down the principle of said 'first' time mortgage for the first time home buyer.... For example, a 200k mortgage at 8% interest over 30 years beginning in Jan 2009 with a one time prepayment of $7,500 in say May 2009 (since the money is not available at closing) would knock over $60,000 off of the mortgage and reduce the 30 years to just over 26. (see http://www.hughchou.org/calc/mort.html to run your own scenario.) So in essence the IRS is GIVING you $52,500 in savings if you use the 'tax credit' wisely. Just my 2 cents (please return change) CenturionATC.
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably the smartest advice I've seen with regards to this housing bill, bravo!

CenturionATC wrote:
Just my humble opinion here, but the best possible use for this 'tax credit' / interest free loan would be to pay down the principle of said 'first' time mortgage for the first time home buyer.... For example, a 200k mortgage at 8% interest over 30 years beginning in Jan 2009 with a one time prepayment of $7,500 in say May 2009 (since the money is not available at closing) would knock over $60,000 off of the mortgage and reduce the 30 years to just over 26. (see http://www.hughchou.org/calc/mort.html to run your own scenario.) So in essence the IRS is GIVING you $52,500 in savings if you use the 'tax credit' wisely. Just my 2 cents (please return change) CenturionATC.

Message 15 of 20
Gigi77
Valued Member

Absolutely brilliant advice! Thanks

@Anonymous wrote:

Turning things around..
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, excellent advice, but a bit mathematically flawed. To get a true comparison of the savings, you should compare the $7500 up-front payment vs. paying an extra $500 each year for 15 years on your mortgage (since taking advantage of the $7500 up front payment obligates you to those extra $500 annual payments).

Unfortunately, the calculator doesn't allow you to test this option for only 15 years (you can do $500 per year, but it continues for every year of the loan). So, I set up a spreadsheet to do it, and found that simply paying $500 extra per year for 15 years (at the end of each year) saves you over $35k in interest and about 2.5 years on the loan. The result? Taking advantage of the "interest free" loan from the government nets you about $25k in interest savings (not $52500) and about a year and a half of payments over paying the $500 extra directly to the mortgage without the govenment "loan". Still not too shabby.

Also, my example above is replacing $500 pre-tax money (from the "loan") with $500 post-tax money (from your take-home pay), so you actually come out slightly better with the government's loan than I calculate above. However, you're also reducing the amount of interest you can deduct from your income taxes, so it kind of balances out.

(edited for formatting)

Message Edited by BobSki778 on 09-29-2008 05:49 PM
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone tell me which one:

Cannot have owned a home in the past 3 years?

or

Cannot have purchased a home in the past 3 years?
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I plan to be a first time home buyer by the end of this year. Since I am buying a multifamily home I plan to put this credit inthe bank. I will use it as an emergency fund if needed for repairs, but it will be gaining intrest since I have to pay it back anyway. Just a question I have been seraching the IRS website for info about this credit (which form will it be on) havent found anything yet. Just wondering if anyone out there has any info.
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eligible taxpayers will claim the credit on new IRS Form 5405. This form, along with further instructions on claiming the first-time homebuyer credit, will be included in 2008 tax forms and instructions and be available later this year on IRS.gov, the IRS Web site.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=186831,00.html

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.