Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiries due to buying my home

tag
jackg
Established Contributor

Inquiries due to buying my home

We bought our retirement home in November 2014 after about 6 months of looking & looking and looking some more, what a tedious task!!! During the process our credit reports were pulled on 4 seperate occasions and then after we got moved in the cable company dinged us for a fifth one. My question is, how badly are these inquiries hurting us? To me it seems like cruel and unusual punishment for these things to be hurting our scores because ALL were incurred while pursuing ONE single goal, am I out in left field? Can anything be done to mitigate the damage to our scores?

One last thing, my mortgage payments to Wells Fargo began January 3, 2015 and today when I bought all 3 FICO scores and reports I found NOTHING being reported about my mortgage, unusual or not?

BURNED FOR BUYING

FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Inquiries due to buying my home

no need to fret over 5 inquiries...your credit score is not being punished too hard by them.  in addition, if any of those mortgage pulls  were within a 30-day timeframe, they are being scored as one inquiry.

it takes 2-5 months (or longer) for your mortgage to start reporting.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 10
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Took 4 months for my Wells Fargo mortgage to start reporting.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 3 of 10
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...don't sweat the recent mortgage or utility queries ...you already have the mortgage and neither CC or Auto lenders will weigh the related queries badly against you 

...it can take months for a new mortgage to show up ...it has to be recorded first ...and then if your lender sells the loan or the servicing, it can add more delays ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 4 of 10
jackg
Established Contributor

Thanks to all for the replies, they do help because I had no idea it would take so long for WF to report my mortgage. Any guesses which direction my scores will go after it does begin reporting?

FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 5 of 10
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

usually you get a few points bump when a mortgage starts to report.  It seems FICO looks favorably on mortgage installment loans.  when we refi'd our house in 2012, we lost points when the old mortgage reported closed.  and we gained them right back when the new mortgage started reporting after about 3-4 months.  if it starts to report at 6 months, you will have 6 months worth of positive payment history showing up.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 24 inquiries, plus one for cable now.  I wouldn't worry 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Congrats on your home! Sorry about all the inquires. I'm considering going through Wells Fargo and just wanted to know your experience with them? Thank You

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jackg wrote:

We bought our retirement home in November 2014 after about 6 months of looking & looking and looking some more, what a tedious task!!! During the process our credit reports were pulled on 4 seperate occasions and then after we got moved in the cable company dinged us for a fifth one. My question is, how badly are these inquiries hurting us? To me it seems like cruel and unusual punishment for these things to be hurting our scores because ALL were incurred while pursuing ONE single goal, am I out in left field? Can anything be done to mitigate the damage to our scores?

One last thing, my mortgage payments to Wells Fargo began January 3, 2015 and today when I bought all 3 FICO scores and reports I found NOTHING being reported about my mortgage, unusual or not?

BURNED FOR BUYING

Congrats on the house and enjoy it.  Don't worry about the inquiries..

Message 9 of 10
jackg
Established Contributor

So far Wells Fargo has been very responsive to all my questions, I don't think you can go wrong with them.

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.