Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My closing cost is $ 10, 000! Wow

tag
J_G
Regular Contributor

Re: My closing cost is $ 10, 000! Wow

So haven't received GFE yet But would like to know if the 2% USDA is part of the closing cost or separate? Now that I see the cost can be that high I'm more comfortable with it I just but when I read about it before on this forum I was reading 5k and lower but I guess they were smaller loans and are I'm low tax areas. Also the HOA there is 90 a month but they say that will go down once the sale more houses. We will be the second house sold. Thanks for your help everybody
7/1/13 - EQ = 593 TU = 578 EXP = 573 FICO
8/11/13 - EQ = 600 TU = 590 EXP = 603 FICO
10/1/13 - EQ = 611 TU = 689 EXP = 605 FICO
12/4/13 - EQ = 625 TU = 648 EXP = 604
Lender Pull 2/18/14 - EQ = 630 TU = 678 EXP = 594
Lender Pull 2/28/14 (EQ 640) (TU 660) (EX 655) Rapid re-score =)
9/30/14 - EQ = 660 TU = 710 EXP = 669
Message 11 of 18
mariasoccermom11
Contributor

Jesus in 2007 I paid 39k on closing cost on my home here in ny. You making out on a good deal 

Message 12 of 18
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@mariasoccermom11 wrote:

Jesus in 2007 I paid 39k on closing cost on my home here in ny. You making out on a good deal 

^^^ Sounds like you either had a higher purchase price than the $250k the OP is writing about or part of your cash to close included down payment funds (or both). If your cash to close did not include a portion of your down payment funds and was a similar purchase price, then $39k on a $250k purchase is over 15% which is extremely high for closing costs.

Message 13 of 18
mariasoccermom11
Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@mariasoccermom11 wrote:

^^^ Sounds like you either had a higher purchase price than the $250k the OP is writing about or part of your cash to close included down payment funds (or both). If your cash to close did not include a portion of your down payment funds and was a similar purchase price, then $39k on a $250k purchase is over 15% which is extremely high for closing costs.

no defintely not im just saying lol. my purschase price was 1.7 million. That was just the closing and then we put 500k down 

Message 14 of 18
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@mariasoccermom11 wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@mariasoccermom11 wrote:

no defintely not im just saying lol. my purschase price was 1.7 million. That was just the closing and then we put 500k down 

^^^lol. I knew that something was off. It is based on the loan amount for most of the charges. Some are fixed. Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 18
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Closing costs here in Northeast Florida is running about 3% of final home price on financed deals and 2% on cash deals.

Message 16 of 18
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@ezdriver wrote:

Closing costs here in Northeast Florida is running about 3% of final home price on financed deals and 2% on cash deals.

It's 2% because you are working with a builder. In the normal FAR/BAR or FAR contract, the costs to close cash is substantially less depending upon which party pays title insurance. Title insurance in my county is usually a seller expense. Yet in the two counties adjoining my county, it is a normal buyer expense. So each contract has a section to negotiate the title expense. However, in most builder contracts, the builder pushes over typical seller closing costs to the buyer. (Never seen one where the builder picks up the costs unless it is negotiated in as a flat dollar amount, or percentage of base price, upfront).

Message 17 of 18
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@ezdriver wrote:

It's 2% because you are working with a builder. In the normal FAR/BAR or FAR contract, the costs to close cash is substantially less depending upon which party pays title insurance. Title insurance in my county is usually a seller expense. Yet in the two counties adjoining my county, it is a normal buyer expense. So each contract has a section to negotiate the title expense. However, in most builder contracts, the builder pushes over typical seller closing costs to the buyer. (Never seen one where the builder picks up the costs unless it is negotiated in as a flat dollar amount, or percentage of base price, upfront).

Since title insurance exists to protect only the buyer in a cash deal, I'm shocked that any seller would pay that. Then again, in resale transactions, a closing costs $$ amount is what's usually negotiated with the seller ... not individual line items. For us, the only different between a cash deal vs a financed deal is mortgage taxes/stamps. We pay up to 3% of closing costs in financed deals and up to 2% in cash deals.

My statement about what closing costs are running is accurate [3% in financed deals and 2% in cash deals]. that statement was not addressing who pays what.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.