Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non Traditonal Lines of Credit?

tag
maluba
Regular Contributor

Non Traditonal Lines of Credit?

What would qualify as acceptable forms of non-traditonal lines of credit, specifically for USDA approval? We just opened a secured credit card account, our credit file is still pretty thin. I know rent and utilities count. Thanks!

Starting Score: 588
Current Score: 610
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Non Traditonal Lines of Credit?

Here are the guidelines directly from FHA:

must have a minimum of 3 sources of credit with a minimum of 12 months of history. The last date of activity should be less than 36 months from the date of the loan application. This indicates information about the borrower’s financial picture is current.

Provide  non-traditional credit from Group I as shown below for a total of 3 sources of credit (traditional or non-traditional). When necessary, Group II may be used when Group I has been exhausted.

Group I – rental housing payments (subject to independent verification if the borrower is a renter), utility company reference (if not included in the rental housing payment), including gas, electricity, water, land-line home telephone service, cable TV.  If the borrower is renting from a family member, request independent documents to prove regularity of payments, such as cancelled checks.

Group II – insurance coverage, i.e., medical, auto, life, renter’s insurance (not payroll deducted); payment to child care providers – made to a business providing such services; school tuition; retail stores – department, furniture, appliance stores, specialty stores; rent to own – i.e., furniture, appliances; payment of that part of medical bills not covered by insurance; Internet/cell phone services; a documented 12 month history of saving by regular deposits (at least quarterly/non-payroll deducted/no NSF checks reflected), resulting in an increasing balance to the account; automobile leases, or a personal loan from an individual with repayment terms in writing and supported by cancelled checks to document the payments.

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 5
maluba
Regular Contributor

Thank you! This would also apply to the USDA, since they are both federal programs, correct?

Message 3 of 5
maluba
Regular Contributor

Question: when it comes to rent as an additional TL, does it have to be 12 months at the same place? We've been at our current address for only six months. And also, do non-contract cell phone bill payments count as well?

Message 4 of 5
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@maluba wrote:

Question: when it comes to rent as an additional TL, does it have to be 12 months at the same place? We've been at our current address for only six months. And also, do non-contract cell phone bill payments count as well?

You can use rent from previously place you lived, as long as it is the last 12 months in total (UW may ask for additional rent proof for additional time). If you lived with a family member and didnt pay rent then you may run into obstacles.

You do not need a contract for your cell phone. As long as you are paying a monthly bill continuously to the company and can provide proof of payment.

Pay as you go Cell Phones usually is not accepted, as an obligation.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.