Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USDA Loan

Does anyone know what the guidelines are when applying for a USDA loan in a community property state?  I know with FHA, your spouse has to be included, but I am not sure with USDA.

Thank.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: USDA Loan

For both FHA & VA you do, so I imagine since USDA is a government program you would need to for USDA as well.  I emailed an underwriter to find out for you though.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 10
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

The community property law applies to all loans as far as I understand it.

Good Luck

brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

community property laws do not apply to conventional loans, but I do believe they apply to all gov't backed loans which would include USDA
Message 4 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Underwriter finally got back to me, said that in community property states the debt payments of non-borrowing spouse are included in the debt to income ratio.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told that if you had at least a 620 mid score you could automatically be approved for USDA loan even with a BK discharge but my friends can't get approved by any lenders  and their mids are 621 and 625 but their bk 7 was less than a year. Would this be the problem.  I have heard that you have to have 36 months discharge then I have heard that you have to have 2 years discharge. Their income together is about $69,000 with household of three people. The wife just switched jobs but has been there about 5 months but has worked consistently 15 years prior employer. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks~

Message 6 of 10
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

620 is not an automatic but the guidelines do say

Recent bankruptcy is OK with FICO of 620+.

Did they say why they were declined? They should know?

brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 7 of 10
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

The 620 score makes it EASIER to get approved, but by itself is not going to get you an auto approval. Like all of the experts on here have said, the overall picture needs to be looked at.

If they have 620 mids, a BK within the last year or two, some recent baddies, the lenders are not going to feel very good about lending them the money. After the BK, their credit should be just about perfect.

Their DTI needs to be looked at as well.

They need to examine their CR and see what is causing it, and like the previous poster said, what was the reason stated for the denial?

Message Edited by WannaHouse on 01-01-2009 09:20 AM

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I will have to find out but I assumed that it would be due to the recent BK7.

Thanks for your quick replies~

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, haven't been on site for a few days. I did find out that they weren't approved due to the lack of credit worthiness. They need to improve credit within the next year so that the bk will be at least 2 years old. Thanks!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.