Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What might I qualify for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What might I qualify for?

Thanks to everyone here I've learned a lot in the past year and my credit has vastly improved to the point where I'm considering a first time home purchase. Here's my situation:

Monthly Gross Income (w/spouse): $7150 (Both W2 Salary)
My Midscore: 721 Spouse: 736 (No Negs on Either)
Student Loan Payment: $380, $42,000 Outstanding

CC Debt: $13,000 Total CC Limits $62,000
Monthly Minimums around $400/mo

Auto Loan $240/mo Outstanding $4000

Can anyone give me an idea of what I might be able to qualify for? Basically I am at the point where I've got my DTI on track for an FHA loan but am wondering if I am better off to keep hammering away at the CC debt or save for a down payment? I can keep working at the CC debt to drop my total minimum CC payments from $400 or I can just continue building for a down payment, not sure which route to go.

I have been hoping for a 3.5% down FHA loan for 250-275k (FHA max in my area is 275) but I really don't know if that is realistic or if I could qualify for a larger conventional with some work on my DTI? Any guidance would be appreciated Smiley Happy
Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: What might I qualify for?

Your numbers look fine for FHA and the amount of loan you'd be looking for.  If you can put down 5% then conventional would be about the same monthly payment, but the PMI wouldn't be for the life of the loan.  If property taxes & homeowners insurance are less than $675/mo combined ($8,100/year) then your debt to income ratio should be fine for conventional.  A 740 score will also get you better rates & lower PMI with conventional as well (which should make the payment less than FHA with 3.5% down).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info Shane. The amount of assistance and wisdom you've given out on this forum is incredible.

What would it take to maybe bump up to a 300-350k conventional with 5% down? Would I need to decrease DTI as well as get up to a 740?0
Message 3 of 5
kc0039
Established Contributor

Looks like you need to decrease DTI to get to $300,000. I don't know what are you are in, but around where I live, taxes for a $300,000 can be as high as $12,000 per year. If you really want to buy a $300,000 house with 5% down, taxes and insurance shouldn't be higher than $510.00 per month

Licensed in IL
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info KC. Looks like taxes would be $358/mo for a 300k property.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.