Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

attorney fees

tag
teton
Regular Contributor

attorney fees

I had my realtor recommend an attorney for my home purchase. She said his fee ran about $450. I just got a letter from the attorney outlining what he will do for me. He states his fee is $600. Is this competitive? In the letter, it also states that once he and the seller's attorney go over the contract and it is finalized, I need to increase my earnest money to 10% of the purchase price. Is this typical? I am financing FHA and my down payment and closing costs don't come any where near 10% and the seller is kicking back 6% at closing to cover all the costs except what I am required to pay as a buyer.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: attorney fees

Are you in Massachusetts, New York or northern NJ?  Most states don't use attorney's but there are a few who it's standard practice in.  Those areas I listed use attorney's for purchase contract review very often.

$600?  Sounds about average.  I've seen higher, I've seen lower.

I've never heard of an earnest money deposit equivalent to 10% of the purchase price - you are sure they didn't mean 1%?  1% is very common, 10%... is ridiculous IMO. 

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.