Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Improvement

tag
SlidingBy
Established Member

Home Improvement

I am looking to replace both my roof and windows this year and know this will be something close to 40K (I was quoted 18k last year for the roof and didnt pull the trigger). What are the best options for a personal loan or other loan types to handle this? Obviously want as low of an interest payment as possible and Ill would like to be dumping money into it to pay off as soon as I can. I am not sure I have the equity in the house yet or if this is a good idea and/or I have a 3.2% mortgage, which I think is still good, so I dont see a reason to refi.

I have looked into sofi and some of the other personal loan sites, are these or a CU my best bet? Would it be wise to try to use the same CU as my 10k (8 remaining) car loan? Thanks in advance.

12/15 starting out | Scores 717,735,734 | 40% Util | CL Chase 4k, Paypal 3k, Carecredit 3k
3/1/16 Getting going |Scores 758,749,782 | 1% Util | Chase Amazon 4k, Paypal 3k, Carecredit 9600, Freedom 8k, BCP 10k, Barclay Ring 7500, IT 10k
8/1/16 CLI updates |Scores 754, 759,772 |Paypal 4k, BCP 30k, IT13.5k, Carecredit 10k
1/3/17 CLI AmEx 38K, IT 22K, scores 763, 778, 791
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

Re: Home Improvement

Your scores look pretty good, why not try for a 0% card like citi simplicity with 21 months of no interest.  Idk if you would get a $40k limit, some say citi starts out low but i've never dealt with them.  You could also put the charges on another card you have to get rewards and then do a balance transfer to chase slate to get 0% for 15 months.

Both of these would give you a period of time to pay down the balance with no interest, which would not be an option with a personal loan.  After the intro period you could look into doing another balance transfer to another card or taking out a smaller personal loan if you can get a lower interest rate.  You also might be in a better position in 1.5 to 2 years to do a Home Equity loan for the remaining balance.

For a personal loan, you would probably get the best rates with a Credit Union, and a relationship always helps.  GL

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 2 of 7
SlidingBy
Established Member

Thanks Enjoi,

I am debating the 0% transfers as needed as well but was afraid the high utility would kill my scores and look bad to any new cards I needed to obtain to get a new 0% period. Besides Slate, I dont think there are other cards I could get now while the getting is good and have a 0% on them for BT in 2 years, not sure if even Slate is good for that honestly? It might be possible to still do like you say and go a little half and half. Put half (roughly) on a PL with interest, hopefully around 10% or so, and the other on a card or two. Just have to make sure I have enough wiggle room to move the balances around as needed. Will see how things go. Thanks again.

12/15 starting out | Scores 717,735,734 | 40% Util | CL Chase 4k, Paypal 3k, Carecredit 3k
3/1/16 Getting going |Scores 758,749,782 | 1% Util | Chase Amazon 4k, Paypal 3k, Carecredit 9600, Freedom 8k, BCP 10k, Barclay Ring 7500, IT 10k
8/1/16 CLI updates |Scores 754, 759,772 |Paypal 4k, BCP 30k, IT13.5k, Carecredit 10k
Message 3 of 7
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

Well, your current cards, plus any new cards will help pad your utilization.  You will just have to try to plan how much you can pay off during the 0% promo.  If the balances are at 90% then yes it will probably be hard to obtain a new card but if you pay them down to 60% and then want to apply for a new card you will have better odds.  Because although utilization on the 1 or 2 cards will be 60%, overall utilization will be lower due to your current cards.  As long as you have a plan and pay off a chunk of the balances during the period you should be fine.

Another work around that you could do.... Get a 0% card now to fund your reno.  Pay it down as much as possible during the intro period.  Towards the end, apply for a personal loan to pay off the credit card.  Your uti will essentially go back to zero.  Then you can apply for another 0% card and do a BT from the personal loan to that card and have more time to pay it down with no interest.

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 4 of 7
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Lowes and Home Depot offer both 0% and low APR financing for major projects-purchases. Between my accounts and my Wife's accounts, we each have both HD and Lowes we have $80k in available credit lines - I used one for a new roof ($10k) for 84 months  low APR and paid it off in less than 3 years.

Both HD and Lowes are known for high credit limits although you might have to call and explain why you need "that much" and I know a lot of roofing / window companies offer financing deals. Discover is also known for giving out high limits over time so an option might be to take a 24 month 0% offer through lowes or HD and then at 24 months BT any balance to a 12-18 month Discover offer.

Lots of options out there outside of a personal loan - note too that in many cases home equity loans can be tax deductable as far as interest (still won't be as cheap as 0%)

Message 5 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@SlidingBy wrote:

I am looking to replace both my roof and windows this year and know this will be something close to 40K (I was quoted 18k last year for the roof and didnt pull the trigger). What are the best options for a personal loan or other loan types to handle this? Obviously want as low of an interest payment as possible and Ill would like to be dumping money into it to pay off as soon as I can. I am not sure I have the equity in the house yet or if this is a good idea and/or I have a 3.2% mortgage, which I think is still good, so I dont see a reason to refi.

I have looked into sofi and some of the other personal loan sites, are these or a CU my best bet? Would it be wise to try to use the same CU as my 10k (8 remaining) car loan? Thanks in advance.

Do not use SoFi or anything that could be classified as a consumer finance agency.

Go to a credit union and see what their options are.

But IMHO.... just don't do it. Instead do part of the job rather than the whole job and use simple revolving credit, either through credit cards or personal lines of credit.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 7
SlidingBy
Established Member

Thanks everyone, lots of good tips!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.