Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy federal account closures

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy federal account closures

My family and I opened navy accounts 5 accounts and we set up payments and opened credit cards and checking line of credit, etc. Did not use it but just wanted to start building a relationship with the bank as we learned more about credit. Well 3 to 7 months have passed since my family has joined this credit union. No missed payments over the limit, returned checks or anything. I log in and my account it is restricted. Hmmm I wondered. It’ then prompted me to call in.

I called in and they said that my account is restricted and I need to be connected to the fraud department. Okay fine. Connected to fraud. They said your account is restricted and we can not tell you why. **bleep**? Can I go to a branch? “ your account is restricted”. Who the heck does that? No information what so ever. This is absurd and I don’t know what to do.

So , I called my brother and asked if this happened to him. He said no he used his account yesterday. But just to error on caution he logged in and bam! Same, your account is restricted. He hopped on chat and the rep said, “ can’t talk to you, call this number”. SMH.

So we have no idea what’s going on. They aren’t asking for anything and are being very vague. If it was fraudulent activity the. Why the heck would I be willing to go to the bank? This is a nightmare!

So beware! If you have a large family do not open your account online go in the branch and even then you may subjected to this foolishness.

I don’t have a balance so I’m fine, my brother however has a refinanced car loan, and credit card. How does that work? How can you pay a bill with no online access and your total is a secret?

Sad thing is. Upon opening the account they had me verify documents. I sent in my passport, drivers license, and a bill. Then was approved for the account.. The representative said, “ Sir, a passport is one of the highest forms for verification. Since the government does a thorough investigation before issuing it”. So why then now, am I having this freaking issue!!!!

I am appalled and mad as a fireball. I referred my family to do business with this credit union, only to have them destroy my family’s credit.
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy federal account closures

It is my guess it is something else.  Even if you flopped a check, I don't believe they would suspend the accounts of every member of your family.  How did you get into Navy?  Are you military?  Referrred by someone else?

Message 2 of 24
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

It is my guess it is something else.  Even if you flopped a check, I don't believe they would suspend the accounts of every member of your family.  How did you get into Navy?  Are you military?  Referrred by someone else?

+1 I agree something else is going on . I know it is frustrating but I would keep calling until someone can tell you something.  I know customer service is 24 hours but you might have to wait until Monday to get the appropriate department.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 I agree something else is going on . I know it is frustrating but I would keep calling until someone can tell you something.  I know customer service is 24 hours but you might have to wait until Monday to get the appropriate department.

They will not tell you anything over the phone.  Federal law requires all lenders to communicate Notice of Adverse Action by mail within 30 days although it is common practice to cite 7-10 days.

Message 4 of 24
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They will not tell you anything over the phone.  Federal law requires all lenders to communicate Notice of Adverse Action by mail within 30 days although it is common practice to cite 7-10 days.

Thanks did not realize thst. Good info

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Restricting your account does not destroy your credit. Many things including fraud could be at play here. How did you qualify for Navy? Might be an issue here might not. Hope it works out but just try and be patient and the reason will come soon enough
Message 6 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Restricting your account does not destroy your credit. Many things including fraud could be at play here. How did you qualify for Navy? Might be an issue here might not. Hope it works out but just try and be patient and the reason will come soon enough

This ^^^. 

From the information provided and since the problem is not only with your accounts but also a sibling, I'm thinking the issue is with membership eligibility.

As others have asked, how are you eligible?  I believe this will be the key to figuring out what's going on (before you hear from NFCU, that is).

Message 7 of 24
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear of the troubles you are having OP. I hope you will update us on what you find because this could end up being an interesting data point. Based on the info you gave, it seems there has to be another odd reason for this. If it is not possible fraud, then I would be really curious what it is at this point. I hope you get it worked out though.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 24
Green456
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

This ^^^. 

From the information provided and since the problem is not only with your accounts but also a sibling, I'm thinking the issue is with membership eligibility.

As others have asked, how are you eligible?  I believe this will be the key to figuring out what's going on (before you hear from NFCU, that is).

If the above is true then this does not fend well for NFCU. I understand disqulifying someone because they don't meet the requirements for membership but freezing somebody's account and all the people who qualified through that person is beyond extreme. Maybe they should have not qualified him in the first place no?

Message 9 of 24
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Green456 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

This ^^^. 

If the above is true then this does not fend well for NFCU. I understand disqulifying someone because they don't meet the requirements for membership but freezing somebody's account and all the people who qualified through that person is beyond extreme. Maybe they should have not qualified him in the first place no?

If it's a membership issue, then it's partially Navy's fault by not requiring the documentation prior to opening the account. BUT, it's spelled out explicitly, multiple times during sign up, what is and isn't qualified for membership.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.