Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse Budget: October 2017

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reverse Budget: October 2017

This thread is for discussion the "Reverse Budget" process that I've followed for the better part of 7 months now.  This isn't about your real budget or your savings plan or anything but analyzing your spending from last month's statements -- including your ATM card if it's there.

The process is "simple" but a bit time consuming, but I find that sitting down one afternoon and doing it goes faster every month that I do it.

The "Reverse Budget" process goes like this:

• Log in to every spending account -- credit cards, lines of credit, ATM/debit cards, Paypal/Google Wallet, etc.  This include accounts you think are inactive.
  • Make sure you have no amount due that surprises you.  I do my monthly "Reverse Budget" on a day before all my next statements cut so I can make sure no secret charges came across some old inactive card!
  • Go to the statements section and load up the last statement (October in this case).  PRINT IT OUT.  ON PAPER.  This process doesn't work on digital screens, and no your tablet also won't work.
  • Go over every line of spending -- EACH AND EVERY ONE.  Grab your highlighter pen and highlight every spend item you don't recognize, or better yet, highlight every item you really didn't need that badly.  My favorite thing I hear from folks who follow this process monthly is that they go crazy when they have to highlight something they bought excitedly but haven't used and may not even know where they put it.  That last part is common with Amazon purchases!
  • Grab your calculator (you can use an app on your phone or tablet here) and add up every highlighted line.  Including the ones you don't recognize or the items you bought in a rush and can't track down.
  • Stable all your statements together for the month with a blank sheet of paper as a cover sheet, and in a colorful permament marker, write down the total you overspent on the cover sheet along with the date and month.

For me, my April 2017 overspend was close to $830 -- ouch.  In October this past month, my unnecessary spend was $360.  Still not bad, but still means I bought things outside of my budget.  Even though I'm strong on income, I still need to hold myself responsible for swiping that card or clicking "BUY" on that website, and the "Reverse Budget" process is part of that.

I file away my stapled reports in the same file folder so I can flip through them and see that things are getting better (or worse).  This is also a useful method for remembering to call Comcast or AT&T to ask for a rate reduction, since if you do call you can note that on the cover sheet so you can easily see when the last time you called for a rate reduction is!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Reverse Budget: October 2017

This sounds like a great idea.

Most people, if they go over budget, seem to just have a mindset of "Oh well... I'll do better next month" and then still end up going over budget. This could definitely help people find out if they are constantly overspending on the same unnecessary items/events to continue causing them to go overbudget month after month.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, and I'm proof of that!  Even though I have a high income and net wealth I still live by a strict budget (you don't build a strong wealth without a budget and I know at least 100 guys my age who blew all their wealth and can no longer earn as strongly).  Even with my strict budget, my monthly "reverse budget" shows me thousands of dollars a year I really didn't have to spend.

Last summer, I found 3 unopened Amazon boxes with over $300 in stuff in them.  I would receive them at my door step, take them inside, but be in a rush and forget.  Then I'd put the boxes aside somewhere and eventually they'd end up on top of the fridge or under a bed -- unopened.

I'm not the only ex-Amazon shopper who has had this happen with shipments...

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do this almost exactly as you suggest.  

The main thing I need to watch is my restaurant spend. I'm actually checking this on a weekly basis now, because the # can blow up quick. I can do too much damage in a month's time.

I was nearly 3x budget on it in October. It was somewhat expected with family visiting, but still. November is about happy hour specials and restaurant gift cards ($20 for $25 worth) I stocked up on ages ago. Haha.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm good with restaurants now, but I wasn't in my 30s.  One of the downsides of being in an industry that worked with restaurants as clients is that I knew pretty much every famous chef and restauteur and even if they covered my check, I still left a crazy hefty tip (hundreds of dollars per meal).  Ouch.  Stupid.

Today I am pretty much anti-restaurant.  My "dating style" involves cooking together in the kitchen and works great for my budget, my food preferences and my dating life, lol.  So if you ever see me in a restaurant, it's probably either family in from out of town, or someone offered to buy me a meal that I could probably make better and cheaper at home.

I do hang out at a cafe 3x a week for my "FIRE" meetings, but I think I spend $2 plus a $5 tip for renting the stool, and sometimes not even that if other folks are covering me.  October was rough for restaurants for me (Mint budget says $80, most of it is coffee and tips at the cafe) but I spent $250 because someone gave me a $100 gift card to a fancy surf and turf restaurant and of course it wasn't even close to covering the bill (and we had no alcohol).  But honestly, I think it was worth it to get some new ideas for my own kitchen experience -- swordfish on pan fried mashed potato cakes???  Heck yeah.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh mine is nothing like it used to be. I used to try and keep it at about $500/week . . which isn't even insane in NYC.  Now it runs a little high due to my nomadic lifestyle (which keeps me from paying any housing expenses), but I don't even spend that in a month most months. 

I'm dating a killer cook. Definitely with you on it often being better to eat at home!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I had some close folks to me in NYC and used to go all the time ($60 round trip flights so sometimes I'd just go for 24 hours lol) and the restaurant scene is similar to Chicago and LA when it comes to what you can put out there.

$500/week x 52 weeks x 10 years @ 7% = $350,000 if invested.  Ouch!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah I had some close folks to me in NYC and used to go all the time ($60 round trip flights so sometimes I'd just go for 24 hours lol) and the restaurant scene is similar to Chicago and LA when it comes to what you can put out there.

@$500/week x 52 weeks x 10 years @ 7% = $350,000 if invested.  Ouch!

and everyone I know here is doing it. insane!

I'm actually thankful for my BK for complely changing my outlook on $.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm actually thankful for my BK for complely changing my outlook on $.

I regret not filing BK when I was 31 and just finished a 7 figure divorce.  Had I known then what I knew now I'd probably be $2 million ahead in the bank, or more.  Probably way more.

But we didn't have internet forums that broke down finances and credit into discrete values.  Even the financial "experts" back then were giving poor advice like "a home is an investment" (lol) or "buy treasury bonds" and junk like that.

Today, I suggest BK to probably 10-15% of people who bring me their financial mess and I show them threads here where folks are literally 3 months out of discharge and getting credit again, while I suffered from age 31 to age 36 with a credit report that wouldn't work for anyone.  BK is a solid "loophole" -- as stressful as it is while it's happening, it's still a loophole that people can take advantage of if they're educated on the tricks of the trade.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.