Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 months from 504 to 700 rebuild story

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

6 months from 504 to 700 rebuild story

I just wanted to give someone that needs it the inspiration to keep going on their credit repair journey. Last December I had a score of 504 with one and the other two couldn’t formulate a score. I was in need of refinancing my home that the mortgage did not show on my reports due to litigation with the bank. So I had really nothing but a few small loans showing paid off and about 20 medical collections, all unpaid.
I started by getting two secured cards, a Capital One for $200 and Discover for $300. In addition, my son added me as an authorized user on his Barclays card.
I did dispute 6 collections that were finally removed in March.
So I used the secured cards heavily. Running them up and paying them off multiple times a month. I never let them report utilization over 29%. Then, in March I applied for and got an unsecured U S Bank cash plus $500 card. By May, my credit had hit 620, the minimum for a hone loan. I then applied in June and successfully refinanced my hone at almost 2% lower than I was paying. This was my goal, I had achieved the impossible.
I’m not done! I plan on keeping my credit heading upwards. Another thing that happened a few days ago is Discover sent back my $300 deposit and converted my secured card to unsecured, I graduated. They also raised my limit to $2,000. This all happened at the cut of my seventh statement.
For those out there that feel the world is against them and their credit, don’t give up. Keep fighting and start with small secured cards. Be patient and most importantly, be responsible.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 6 months from 504 to 700 rebuild story

Sam congrats!  504 to 700 is a massive increase.  Keep up the great work!

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I just wanted to give someone that needs it the inspiration to keep going on their credit repair journey. Last December I had a score of 504 with one and the other two couldn’t formulate a score. I was in need of refinancing my home that the mortgage did not show on my reports due to litigation with the bank. So I had really nothing but a few small loans showing paid off and about 20 medical collections, all unpaid.
I started by getting two secured cards, a Capital One for $200 and Discover for $300. In addition, my son added me as an authorized user on his Barclays card.
I did dispute 6 collections that were finally removed in March.
So I used the secured cards heavily. Running them up and paying them off multiple times a month. I never let them report utilization over 29%. Then, in March I applied for and got an unsecured U S Bank cash plus $500 card. By May, my credit had hit 620, the minimum for a hone loan. I then applied in June and successfully refinanced my hone at almost 2% lower than I was paying. This was my goal, I had achieved the impossible.
I’m not done! I plan on keeping my credit heading upwards. Another thing that happened a few days ago is Discover sent back my $300 deposit and converted my secured card to unsecured, I graduated. They also raised my limit to $2,000. This all happened at the cut of my seventh statement.
For those out there that feel the world is against them and their credit, don’t give up. Keep fighting and start with small secured cards. Be patient and most importantly, be responsible.

Fantastic job!!! Thank you for sharing your success story. I think alot of us rebuilders get discouraged easily, so seeing stories such as yours, gives us that whisper in our ears to keep going. I think the most important part is, you set a goal, and reached it, with some work. Again, thanks for sharing, and CONGRATS!!!

Message 3 of 13
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Congrats on all of your hard work and recovery!

Message 4 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Congrats on your success 

Message 5 of 13
Peazmom
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on your success.  Truly inspirational!

Starting FICO 8 December 2017

FICO 8 as of 6/7/20

Sock Drawer:

Message 6 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Its amazing once you put your mind into fixing what went wrong. And then reap the rewards of all the hard work you did to get where you at now. Congrats! Keep on chucking!

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I needed to read this today. I was feeling like the progress I was making wasn't very good. You reminded me it's okto start out with baby steps.
Congratulations on your wonderful success!
Message 8 of 13
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Be patient and most importantly, be responsible.

Nailed it.  Congratulations.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW! That gives me hope. I am about to start my rebuild journey myself (starting within 2 months hopefully). Just did a pull of all 3 agencies if I remember correctly, I am at 504 also. Looking for 680 for me.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.