Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex-Paid Less than Full Amount

tag
happy0510
Established Contributor

Amex-Paid Less than Full Amount

I recently had a ZYNC that went into the 120 days late territory and it was then that I had the funds to pay it off.  Of course, the damage was done.  I received an offer to pay less than the total amount and took it.  I figured I could pay the full difference later as leverage for any possibility that it will help with a GW. 

It reports as paid less than full amount.  It only lists 2 120 Late Payments and no 30s or 60s.  My score dropped but bounced back 2 months later to the tune of at least 50 points.  I think I lost about 100 at first.

I have no other baddies.  The simulator suggests I will get back into the 700s if I only paid a tiny bit down on my other cards in one month.

It also has me in the high 700s in 24 months with on time payments and paying down the cards.  This is most certainly going to happen within 1 year.

Do you think in the meantime I have a chance of getting a GW if I offer to pay the difference?

Should I just leave it alone?

For the record, I don't plan on making any purchases except for possibly an auto early next year & MAYBE an equity line if our employment remains steady.

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex-Paid Less than Full Amount

You could certainly call and ask if they'll agree to delete in exchange for paying, probably wouldn't hurt.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You no longer owe them a debt. 

The subject of offering to make a payoff for CR deletion to a party to whom you do not owe a debt has come up in other posts, and is questionable.

Message 3 of 6
happy0510
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The subject of offering to make a payoff for CR deletion to a party to whom you do not owe a debt has come up in other posts, and is questionable.

When I log onto AMEX it shows my balance due but doesn't let me pay it.  I thought maybe they would accept it.

OK, it looks like my score is bouncing back pretty quickly and paying down my balances will put it into prime range. 

I'll probably just let it age off. 

However, if I wanted an AMEX in the future, how would this come into play?

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@happy0510 wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

When I log onto AMEX it shows my balance due but doesn't let me pay it.  I thought maybe they would accept it.

OK, it looks like my score is bouncing back pretty quickly and paying down my balances will put it into prime range. 

You'll probably have to call in to discuss payment arrangements.    Pretty sure that you'll be blacklisted for settling ~ many people report that they can't get back in with AMEX until they PIF.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@pizzadude wrote:

@happy0510 wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

You'll probably have to call in to discuss payment arrangements.    Pretty sure that you'll be blacklisted for settling ~ many people report that they can't get back in with AMEX until they PIF.

I agree.  They also have an Oasis program to let you come crawling back in.  Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.