Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I dispute this Collection?

tag
SanK

Can I dispute this Collection?

Hi,

I don't monitor my credit report usually but when I did it yesterday, I've seen a collection account on my report opened last october i.e.10/2012. It was supposedly a hospital bill in Michigan for 38 $.I contacted the collection agency and paid the bill. I mailed them the request for deletion. Ive got the following reply from them.

"Good morning, I have looked into this account. We sent statements to the address that was given to our client. It should have went through forwarding providing you put one in with the USPS, if not, that is beyond our control. We do not purchase our accounts from our clients and we have a contract with them to credit report the accounts that are turned over to our agency"

They are claiming to have sent the bills to address in Michigan where I stayed before and I moved to Chicago in July of last year i.e 07/2012. I didn't know about this and they didn't even contact me by phone.Can I dispute it now with credit agencies?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can I dispute this Collection?

I see no reason to dispute.  Send another GW.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can I dispute this Collection?

Kinda confusing....

Their letter mentions billing letters.  Debt collectors dont "bill" a consumer, the creditor does.

Not knowing what was stated in your letter to them, it is hard to understand the issue, but apparently your GW made some assertion of improper acts of mailings of some sort?

If the issue is a simple request for good-will deletion, the CRAs have no part in, and does not approve of, deletions based on satisfaction of a debt.

That issue is not disputable.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.