cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car purchase in cash question

tag
Chuggybear

Car purchase in cash question

Hi.....I know there is an auto loan forum as well, but this question is more about improving my credit score. My credit score is between 550 and 570 depending on the service. No major debt that needs to he paid off. I have a secured CC that I'm making payments on religiously. Ok, here's my issue: I need to buy a 2nd car for my household. I have saved $6000.00 for this purchase. I was just planning on finding a used car and paying cash.......am I wasting an oppertunity to improve my credit if I did so? Is there some kind of way I can use use this money to improve my score by getting a loan for $6,000.00 and using my cash as collateral? Do loans like that even exist? My long term goal is to improve my credit score enough to get a home loan. Any advice would be greatly appreciated......sorry if I posted this in the wrong location.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Re: Car purchase in cash question

I have heard installment loans only make up around 10% of your FICO.  If you don't have any existing installment loans now, then an auto loan will probably help. The auto loan is going to help the most with future auto enhanced scores as positive auto loan history is highly regarded when trying to get the best rates and terms.

That being said, your scores of 550 - 570 may limit your lender choices more than you expect and result in a loan rate of anywhere between 10 - 20%.  This is not a loan you want to have very long.  Since you have $6000 in cash, I'd look for a $6,000 loan and pay it off in 6 or less months to minimize the interest penalty.

Whoever you get a loan through you need to make sure there is no prepayment penalty!!!  Last thing you need is to owe several grand more for the car due to some clause in your loan agreement. 

Message 2 of 4
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

To pay interest just to build an installment loan account.  I wouldn't do it.  It factors in at 10%. 

Message 3 of 4
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I bought my current car with cash.  I do have 2 other installment loans though.  But, without a current car loan, I have been improving my credit just fine with mostly revolving accounts.  My GTI is awesome!

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.