Established Member
dzemboc77

Credit Card Rebuilding Help

Hey guys,

I am currently rebuilding my credit and the whole thing has had a strong learning curve. I am finally understanding some of it though. I had 1 question which I guess I didn't understand at first. I have a few credit cards now, at first I really didn't use any of them. I guess doing this does not help you build up your credit much. Since then I have started to actively using most of them. Now I'm not talking about a 1 month score bump I'm talking long haul what is better to pay off my balance in full every month or keep paying it down then charge again ? or does it not even matter as long as your showing on time payments and using them. I don't need to use the cards to buy anything its just to help my credit. I'm not spending $500 and maxing them out its a simple $50 charge here maybe $100 there.  I don't really care about saving $2 from intrest, I just want to know if its better to carry a balance and show payments on it every month on time, or to pay it off in full. I'm looking at purchasing a house next year and need to get my score up 40-50 points minimum before then and the higher the better.

Regular Contributor
tdrjustus3

Re: Credit Card Rebuilding Help

You should PIF all except one and let that report at 9% or less utilization.

No apps until 8/2014
March 2013 Starting FICO Score: EQ: 584 TU: 564 EX: ??
August 2013 Current FICO Scores: EQ:664 EX:684 Walmart TU: 666
guiness56

For optimum FICO scoring, as the other poster said, all but one report 0 balance, the other at 9% or below.  YMMV and you can tinker with the % to see where it gives you the best score.

Also, making on time payments over a 6 month to year time frame, letting the CC age, will help a lot.

Established Member
dzemboc77

I know this already, I'm talking other than the slight score BUMP if you have everything paid off at 0 or 9% usage,  does it make a diffrence for 2 year payment history if the balance is paid off in full each month or has a balance that is paid on time each month ?   Is there a difference on how it is reported ?

Regular Contributor
qd

dzemboc77 wrote:

I know this already, I'm talking other than the slight score BUMP if you have everything paid off at 0 or 9% usage,  does it make a diffrence for 2 year payment history if the balance is paid off in full each month or has a balance that is paid on time each month ?   Is there a difference on how it is reported ?

I think if you are talking longterm, it doesn't matter if you PIF or carry a balance as long as you pay on time every month.  I don't think the CRA reports will show whether or not you carried a balance.  They just show that you paid on time every month.  If you are not apping for new cc or mortgage, then keeping your utilization down to 9% on one card and the rest at 0% has less importance IMO.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}