Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill letter - told not allowed because of FCRA

tag
LordKenyon
New Visitor

Goodwill letter - told not allowed because of FCRA

Hi,

I recently used a goodwill letter to ask for three lates from 2008 to be removed (as I've had 13 years of otherwise good payments).  They were quite nice and called me today after receiving the letter yesterday.  They said that they were prohibitied from removing them due to the FCRA.  Does this sound right or are they just being overly cautious?   

Should I just move on or do you think there are some other options?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
chevyman
Contributor

Re: Goodwill letter - told not allowed because of FCRA

Over cautious
Message 2 of 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

What they are referring to is the FCRA stating they have to report accurate information, which is true.  It in no way says they have to report at all.  That is totally up to the creditor.

Message 4 of 7
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Yeah, but if they stop reporting totally, you'd lose a traveling. That could impact your AAOA.

Honestly? I'd just keep asking. You could get 100 nos, but it only takes one yes. You could also try getting in touch with a higher-up.
Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@InvincibleSummer3 wrote:
Yeah, but if they stop reporting totally, you'd lose a traveling. That could impact your AAOA.

Honestly? I'd just keep asking. You could get 100 nos, but it only takes one yes. You could also try getting in touch with a higher-up.

No it wouldn't.  Opened or closed counts in AAoA.  OP is only asking for lates from 5 years ago to be removed, not to stop reporting.

Message 6 of 7
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@InvincibleSummer3 wrote:

No it wouldn't.  Opened or closed counts in AAoA.  OP is only asking for lates from 5 years ago to be removed, not to stop reporting.

I guess I misunderstood - I'd assumed (and shame on me) that this was a paid-off account. I had a similar situation, wherein I had asked for some lates to be removed on a paid-off SL. They responded by deleting the tradeline entirely....whoops.

Apologies, OP. Your situation is clearly different. But the advice to keep on truckin' still stands. The worst they can tell you is no.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.