Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!!?!!!

tag
lillygooch4
Established Member

Help!!?!!!

I have a medical collection that has been showing as paid since I disputed it in September of 2011. I don't honestly know were if is from or if I paid it but thought it showing as paid was better than unpaid. I have been working really hard repairing me and my husbands credit to buy a home this summer. I got all my debt paid and a few deleted. Then I received a call from a CA out the blue and they stated they had bought the debt form the CA that was reporting the medical collection paid. I then disputed the debt with CB because I new it was no longer the CA that was on my reports hoping that they would remove it. I told this new CA I wanted something in writing because I was still unsure were this medical collection came from. I never received anything in the mail and now the dispute came back with the first CA showing the medical collection as a collection as of April 2012 and the new CA reporting the same medical collection as a collection. I am devastated. I know my score has dropped tremendously all this hard work to get to the end and have it all fall apart! What can I do???

EX>646 FICO, EP>620, TR>630 FICO

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Help!!?!!!

How can they report a new debt when the original was paid? Send a dv letter
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 8
lillygooch4
Established Member

I don't understand it either. Now they are both new collections reporting the same debt. Do I DV both of the CA's?

Message 3 of 8
Familywantsahouse
Frequent Contributor

1. DV them.

2. If YOU have proof this is the same debt, and proof of payment I'd be all over the BBB and Attorney General on this one, for BOTH CA's.

2/24 (Lender Pull) EQ 613, TU 553, EX 589
April EQ 633, My Fico TU 638, EX ??
Current EQ 643, TU 652, EX 633 (lender pull 5/11)
Goal (we made it!!)- Over 640 middle by 5/15
Message 4 of 8
lillygooch4
Established Member

I'm going to send the DV out tomorrow to both. I still don't understand why experian would show the collection als paid with 0 balance then change its reporting as a new collection as of April 2012.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info it was very useful, I had a very similar problem and by chance I found the answer here browsing the forum Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Maybe I am misreading the scenario, but this is what I see....

Debt collector 1 reported a collection, and subsequently reported a $0 balance.  Then a new debt collector reported the same debt, and both are in the CR?

If that is the scenario, I dont think it is necessarity improper.

If debt collector 1 reported a $0 balance, that does not necessarily mean the debt was paid.  It means they have $0 still under collection.. i.e., they are no longer collecting on the debt.  Similar to an OC reporting $0 on their account... which does not mean the debt was paid, only that they no longer own it.

Maybe the debt collector sold it, or maybe they just decided to cease collection.  In either event, reporting of a $0 balance under collection does not require deletion of their earlier reporting of their collection activities. 

Debt collector 2 comes on the scene, with their own collection authority.... either by purchase or assignment.  They report it.  The prior presence or absence of prior reporting by another debt collector is unrelated to their ability to accurately report their own collection on the debt.

Two debt collectors cannot actively be reporting collection of the same debt, but that is not what I see in the reported scenario......

Message 7 of 8
lillygooch4
Established Member

Success!!!!! I contacted the OC of the brand new CA and they are going to have them remove the debt from my report. They stated by law I didn't receive a dunning notice but they are able to remove it! I called the first CA and found out it was a separate collection and it really was paid since 2010 so they want me to FAX a GW deletion letter and they said they should be able to remove it also. This is the best news ever! Hopefully I can get them both off and be in a better place then before I started! Thanks for all the help! Ill keep everyone posted on my journey.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.