Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a MENTOR!!!

tag
devineer1
Regular Contributor

I need a MENTOR!!!

Hello every one... I have been reading various post here and I have to say I am overwhelmed! There is so much to know about this process and I feel like I have too much going on and need someone to help level me out. I have so many questions about what step I need to take next. I don't want to give my money to a "repair firm" tried that and it was more harmful than helpful. I decided to take all this on know that it takes time, there are letters that need to be written and offers of settlement UGH !! Please don't get me started on all the acronyms!!!!!!!

I have a lot of baddies over 20, those with small balances I have already taken care of. There are others I need to tackle.. I have medical and I was told they should be handled last, but taken care of. The thing with those is that some are tied up with other collections, so how do I approach agencies to pay the more important ones.  

I have a secured card with Wells Fargo $500 want to increase the balance to make me look better, and I have about 5 months before they reconsider my status. I also have a Finger Hut account with $200 CL, waiting on an increase with them also.. Both are paid and kept within the limits as expected to.  I applied for Cap One only getting denied because I had an alert on my social, which has since then been removed. I would like to re-apply but don't want to chance it. I feel like I need another credit line but to whom can I go with my history.

I really want to know down these collections, it's my goal in life if I never own a home I can at least be proud that I could be worthy to be considered! I have late pays/collections and am willing to pay to delete. I guess it's the fact that it's so much and I STILL have a family to support. (Lottery Dreams seam so far... guess I'd have to play to win) I didn't want to file for bankruptcy .. thinking I should have jumped on it 3 years ago when I was advised to.

Needless to say I am trying.,,, any help or MENTOR possibilities are greatly appreciated. I learn fast and very determined

myFICO Scores
EQUIFAX          606
TRANSUNION 613
EXPERIAN       573

I am but a work in progress, taking one day at a time, learning to be more patient. In the Garden as of 12/01/15

Equifax 569
Trans Union 607
Experian 588

Goal to be at or over 650
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need a MENTOR!!!

I don't know as much as these guys- but I have learned a lot! I got my husbands score up high enough 5 years ago to buy a house and I am back to working on it after we hit a rough patch when I got sick. I would love to be able to help you! I have done all I can do with our credit and just have to wait it ou. 

Message 2 of 8
devineer1
Regular Contributor

I am all ears!! What do you need to know?

I am but a work in progress, taking one day at a time, learning to be more patient. In the Garden as of 12/01/15

Equifax 569
Trans Union 607
Experian 588

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@devineer1 wrote:

Hello every one... I have been reading various post here and I have to say I am overwhelmed! There is so much to know about this process and I feel like I have too much going on and need someone to help level me out. I have so many questions about what step I need to take next. I don't want to give my money to a "repair firm" tried that and it was more harmful than helpful. I decided to take all this on know that it takes time, there are letters that need to be written and offers of settlement UGH !! Please don't get me started on all the acronyms!!!!!!!

I have a lot of baddies over 20, those with small balances I have already taken care of. There are others I need to tackle.. I have medical and I was told they should be handled last, but taken care of. The thing with those is that some are tied up with other collections, so how do I approach agencies to pay the more important ones.  

I have a secured card with Wells Fargo $500 want to increase the balance to make me look better, and I have about 5 months before they reconsider my status. I also have a Finger Hut account with $200 CL, waiting on an increase with them also.. Both are paid and kept within the limits as expected to.  I applied for Cap One only getting denied because I had an alert on my social, which has since then been removed. I would like to re-apply but don't want to chance it. I feel like I need another credit line but to whom can I go with my history.

I really want to know down these collections, it's my goal in life if I never own a home I can at least be proud that I could be worthy to be considered! I have late pays/collections and am willing to pay to delete. I guess it's the fact that it's so much and I STILL have a family to support. (Lottery Dreams seam so far... guess I'd have to play to win) I didn't want to file for bankruptcy .. thinking I should have jumped on it 3 years ago when I was advised to.

Needless to say I am trying.,,, any help or MENTOR possibilities are greatly appreciated. I learn fast and very determined

myFICO Scores
EQUIFAX          606
TRANSUNION 613
EXPERIAN       573

The best advice I can offer at this point is to sit and read ALL of the posts here for a couple of weeks. If one has an acronym or phrase you don't understand, ask what it means.  Basically, don't be in a rush - this is a slow process. It's like eating an elephant - just take it one bit at a time. Once you have a feel for the process, sit down and organize all the negative stuff you have, and then implement a plan for each item. As you progress you are going to hear a LOT of creditors and collection agencies saying 'no we can't/don't do that'. Be persistant. Don't take no for an answer - at least not the first dozen times. And try many different methods of contact, mail, email and phone.

For the medical items, go to "creditboards.com" - they have a forum thats specifically addresses how to deal with them.

Whenever you feel overwhelmed, just remember - you're eating an elephant. One bite at a time.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@devineer1 wrote:

myFICO Scores
EQUIFAX          606
TRANSUNION 613
EXPERIAN       573

I would maybe RECON w/Cap 1 since you removed the alert.

Message 5 of 8
eric19k
Established Contributor

Call Capital 1 EO number for reconsideration. You will be asked some basic questions, maybe income verification.

You need to know what is SOL in your state.
Send DV letter or emails.

TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 6 of 8
devineer1
Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the feedback ... what is EO... SOL and DV

Sorry I am new to this.

Equifax 569
Trans Union 607
Experian 588

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/td-p/88458

Here's a list of common abreviations used on board. Hope it helps.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.