Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect Address Showing on ...

tag
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

Incorrect Address Showing on ...

credut byreau's report.  I asked that credit bureau to delete that address because I had never even lived in that state.  I also told them that this was the address of a person who stole my identify who was later prosecuted, and I was offered the Witness Protection Program by the Department of Justice if I was required to testify.  The credit bureau replied that I had to prove I never lived there. 

My question is, do you have any thoughts about how I can prove I never lived there.  I have asked a few people about this and they have no idea as to how I have to go about this.  I am hoping you can help me with good advice.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Re: Incorrect Address Showing on ...

Do you pay state taxes for the state you live in?
Message 2 of 11
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

No.  We don't have state income taxes.

Message 3 of 11
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Did the identity thief file fed taxes in your name? That may be another avenue. Was the ID theft in another state?
Message 4 of 11
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

I don't believe the criminal ever filed taxes in my name.  The ID theft took place by a person who lived in Arizona.  I have never lived in Arizona or even stayed a night in Arizona to my knowledge, even though I have driven through Arizona when traveling to California.

Message 5 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@IncrsCredScore wrote:

credut byreau's report.  I asked that credit bureau to delete that address because I had never even lived in that state.  I also told them that this was the address of a person who stole my identify who was later prosecuted, and I was offered the Witness Protection Program by the Department of Justice if I was required to testify.  The credit bureau replied that I had to prove I never lived there. 

My question is, do you have any thoughts about how I can prove I never lived there.  I have asked a few people about this and they have no idea as to how I have to go about this.  I am hoping you can help me with good advice.

Ahhh, this is standard CRA BS, you dont have to prove jack. I assume you have a copy of the ID theft report that you filed concerning it, send them a copy and tell them that was an address used by the thief and you demand its immediate deletion or you will file a complaint with the CFPB & the FTC.  All further communications with the CRA are to be done by mail CMRR. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

I'm slow today gdale. I should a thought of that lol
Message 7 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@randyrhodes wrote:
I'm slow today gdale. I should a thought of that lol

Thats ok, I have my days too, lol

Message 8 of 11
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

Actually, I don't recall ever filing an ID theft report.  I just argued with a credit card company that I did not have a credit account with them and did not owe them money.  This was many years ago.  I seem to recall them asking me if my addres was ...... and I told them I had never lived there.  They did also advise me that this was a long closed credit card, but that someone had re-opened the credit card by telephone.  That was the first I learned that anyone could just call up a credit company and ask to re-open a credit card without having to furnish some kind of proof.  When I questioned this, I was told that the person having the credit card number was proof enought for the credit card companies.   I was absolutely appalled.

The next thing I knew I received a letter from the Department of Justice letting me know that the thief had been caught and would be prosecuted and that is the letter in which I was offered the Witness Protection Program if I was called to testify.  I did also receive a letter from the Department of Justice after the trial advising me that the culprit was found guilty and would be incarcerated.

Message 9 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@IncrsCredScore wrote:

Actually, I don't recall ever filing an ID theft report.  I just argued with a credit card company that I did not have a credit account with them and did not owe them money.  This was many years ago.  I seem to recall them asking me if my addres was ...... and I told them I had never lived there.  They did also advise me that this was a long closed credit card, but that someone had re-opened the credit card by telephone.  That was the first I learned that anyone could just call up a credit company and ask to re-open a credit card without having to furnish some kind of proof.  When I questioned this, I was told that the person having the credit card number was proof enought for the credit card companies.   I was absolutely appalled.

The next thing I knew I received a letter from the Department of Justice letting me know that the thief had been caught and would be prosecuted and that is the letter in which I was offered the Witness Protection Program if I was called to testify.  I did also receive a letter from the Department of Justice after the trial advising me that the culprit was found guilty and would be incarcerated.

Ok the letter indicating he is found guilty would be sufficent to prove your claim of the bogus address, do everything I mentioned but send copy of this instead.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.