Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just getting started...so I need any advice

But maybe 2014

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, you're probably going to need to settle that so its quits killing your UTI%. Just getting it to report a zero balance will help your score tremendously. I would suggest making that your first priority.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the boards! Everyone is already giving you really great advice to build a strong credit portfolio.

I just wanted to encourage you to be patient.  It could be really difficult because some days just feel hopeless.  Some days you're gonna feel like you're never gonna hit your goal score or get that credit card you really want.  I encourage you to be patient.  The best tool for fixing credit is time.  Time heals a lot.  So, allow the time to pass while you work to send out goodwill letters for the accounts you have already paid and send PFD letters for the accounts that are still in collections.

After reading A LOT of discussion on here I have learned the secret sauce is:

1. GW paid collections to have them removed

2. PFD for the accounts that are still in collections

3.  Get 3 bank credit cards

4.  Get an installment loan (home, student, auto, or private loan)

5.  Pay all cards in full every month except for 1 card - keep that card at >9%

6.  Never ever ever be late with your credit card payments

if you do these things for 12 months, you will see improvement.  But be patient and don't give up...the ONLY thing keeping you from your goal score or your goal card is if you stop trying.

The patient ones win this game Smiley Happy

Good luck! 

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought about that also I recevied a letter from them last month wanting to settle but their settlement was only 200.00 less the balance I owe (1252.00). The balance is with Portfolio Recovery. I am going to give them a call when I have the exact amount on which I am comfortable on settling with them. 

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks CoffeeandLipstick for your advice. 

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought about that also I recevied a letter from them last month wanting to settle but their settlement was only 200.00 less the balance I owe (1252.00). The balance is with Portfolio Recovery. I am going to give them a call when I have the exact amount on which I am comfortable on settling with them. 

Yeah, with it being so fresh they are not going to want to discount it much. If PR is not reporting it yet, it would be in your best interest to accept their offer with the agreement to not report it as a collection. If they ARE reporting it, then the damage is done, I would offer to PIF only for deletion of the collection.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.