Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collection Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Collection Help

I am in the process of rebuilding my credit & the main problem is 5 reported open collections.

4 of them are reporting medical & 1 non medical. I have been reading a bit about the HIPAA process in removing medical debt but I am confused on the steps to take in which order as I have read conflicting post. 1 of the 4 reporting medical collections is inaccurate as it is actually a utility company I did not know I had a unpaid balance for. Can I dispute this to have it completely removed as it is falsely being reported as a medical debt instead of non medical? All of the 4 medical debts including the non medical one below is being reported with the MED1 02 coding (is this proper way of coding medical debt) I would like to have all collections removed from my report & would appreciate advice on removing medical & non medical collections. I have read about PFD letters but have also read to not send those for medical debt & to follow the HIPAA process. Below is details about each collection & the one being reported falsely. 

-2 of the medical collections are for different amounts reporting same service date & provider ( I do not remember going to the Dr. around this time frame ) I have never received a statement for services from either the OC or CA. 

-1 other medical collection is for the same CA below for services I do remember having but had insurance ( I thought I did at the time, I was going through a divorce & my insurance was to cancel because of so I went to the doctor before it was due to canceled.) I have never received a itemized bill for these services from OC or CA statement. 

- The non medical debt I do believe is mine but again never received anything showing what I owed. 

Below is the non medical debt being reported as medical & how it is showing on my Equifax report:

HOLLOWAY

MED1 02 JOE WHEELER EMC
Feb 17, 20142 Months
$165
Account Details
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Re: Medical Collection Help

From what I understand, the "HIPAA method" is strongly discouraged on this forum although it is promoted on another board.

That being said, the greatest success I have had in the past was to call the OC's billing office, tell them my sad story and say I just came into a small amount of money and those that are willing to pull the account back from collections will get paid first and in full.  Smiley Very Happy  I have had a few jump at the chance!

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical Collection Help

I apologize as I was not aware the HIPAA method was discouraged on this board. Which board is it encouraged so I can direct my question there?

Thank you! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.