Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My rebuilding credit story.

tag
imjetguer
Established Member

My rebuilding credit story.

Back in 2013 I finalized my divorce. You would think that would be what ruined my credit but no. It was all civil and the division of assets was fair.
I eventually started a new relationship and in 2014 I moved in with my girlfriend under the agreement we would eventually get married and buy a house together. By that time I had excellent credit high 700 to low 800. I carried a small balance on one or two cards. And never bought what I couldn’t afford to pay for in cash.
Well that didn’t last long because she helped max out every single card I had in less than 6 months after I moved in and then she dumped me. I was left in debt for close to $200k. In six months. It was a mix of store credit cards, major credit cards and loans. I now realize she was a con artist. I gave her permission to spend some of them because she is a nurse with a great income and she said she would pay me for what she spent. Once I gave her that permission she took advantage and used and maxed out every card I had money on and spent every dollar in my bank accounts. She said she would make the minimum payments but always found an excuse for me to pay.
I threatened to sue her but upon speaking with a lawyer they said it was a lost case because we never had anything in writing nor did she ever make one payment on any account. She would use my accounts to make the payments than say she would pay me in cash later, which she never did.
I was in love like never before, but she made me into the biggest idiot. After she kicked me out of her house, I was broke and living paycheck to paycheck.

I filed bankruptcy, went back to school and lived with my ex-wife and kids for a few years until I could afford my own place.
Fast forward to now and I have had some luck with a few major credit card companies.
My story is a bit of a warning and what not to do when jumping into new relationships.

These are the cards and limits I currently have. If they have a star I burned them.
Chase and Citi haven’t let me in apart from the HD. Amex wont give me another card nor raise my limit so it’s socked.
My scores are 730-750.
Just give it time and patience and you can rebuild your credit.
*Discover 16.5
Discover 4.5
Quicksilver 500- first one I got after BK
Savor 2200
*Cap one platinum 1000
Amex Blue 500
*Wells fargo 6k
Target 500
Home depot 500
*Lowes 16000
Paypal 2400
Ikea 14000
*Pottery barn 5000
Jcrew 1500
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: My rebuilding credit story.

Congrats. Nice rebound. Love is blind man sometimes. No they wouldnt do that to me. Get FICO scores before the next one. LOL!

Message 2 of 5
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your success!
Message 3 of 5
collics
Established Contributor

@imjetguer wrote:
 lived with my ex-wife and kids for a few years until I could afford my own place.

That was extremely nice of her.

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry you had to go thru that, but i'm glad you're back on the right track.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.