Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help dealing with Unifund

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help dealing with Unifund

I have had a collection account with Unifund since 05/2008.  They say i owe them 8330.00 for a credit card debt from Chase that Chase charged off in 3/2006.  SOL is 3 years so it was past SOL in 03/2009 since 03/2006 is listed as the DOLA.  I got Unifund to agree to take a settlement on this account for 50% of the amount they state I owe.  4165.00 is very close to what the original charged off amount was.  My problem is I want Unifund to delete this account from my CR's in exchange for this lump sum payment and they tell me that they are not allowed to delete a paid account from any of the CRA's.  They cite a rule from the CRA's that say they are not allowed to delete a paid collection.  I know that PFD's are frequently accepted by many CA's.  How can I convince Unifund to PFD?  I'm aware that a paid collection is no better than a unpaid collection on my CR's.  Unifund tells me that they will report it as "PAID IN FULL", but I'm afraid that it will remain on my CR's for another 7 years trashing my FICO scores.  Any suggestions on how to convince them to PFD? 
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
newstart2010
Blogger

Re: Need help dealing with Unifund

It will only stay on there another 3 years.  If the SOL is past, then keep sending them PFDs, and see if they will do it.  If you need it paid off because a mortgage company is saying to, then pay it off and ask for a GW.  Some CAs will just never ever for a PFD no matter what.  But if you are in no hury to pay it off, and are able to send them the settlement amount as soon as they agree, just keep sending a PFD letter each week and see if you can get someone to agree to it. 
I live my life like I type, fast and with a lot of mistakes.
Spacebar broken. Watch for finger.

02/04/2015 || TU 08: 728 EX 08: 709 EQ 08: 748

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They are correct.  Reporting guidelines estblished by the CRAs and agreed to by the reporting CAs clearly state that collections are not to be deleted based on payment of the debt.  This is not law, so a CA can ignore it if they choose, but if they invoke this business requirement, they are totlly correct.

It is totally their call.

The CA remains in your CR for 7 1/2 years from your date of first default with the original creditor.  Your date of payment with the CA has no affect on your CR drop off date.  FCRA 605(c).  Neither does expiration of the SOL.

Message 3 of 4
miskiss
New Contributor

Debt collectors may not attempt to collect fees not owed.

Debt collectors sometimes add fees, costs, or other items to the debt, and this is usually illegal. Debts collectors can only collect the debt actually owed. They cannot collect their fees, costs, etc., unless those fees and costs are specifically spelled out in your agreement. General statements like "You agree to pay expenses required to collect this debt," or, "You agree to pay reasonable attorney fees necessary to collect this debt" are not adequate.

~ Hyde & Swigart, southwest litigation from Phoenix

11/2/2019: EQ 699, TU 649, EX 652. 6/15/2019: EQ 682, TU 621, EX 630 "The journey of a million miles begins with a single step"
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.