cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Released Lien - Should I have this removed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Released Lien - Should I have this removed?

I have a released lien on my credit.  Should I fight to have this removed completely?  Will it make a difference?  Also, it's only reporting released on two of the three reports. I have already filed disputes with the CRAs.  Any suggestions on what else I can do and if it's worth it?  Will it move my numbers?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Released Lien - Should I have this removed?

Is it a Federal Tax Lien.  If so, go to the IRS website.  They have information there about getting it removed.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a state tax lien.  It shows released on two of the three.  Third still shows active lien. 

Message 3 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Well, you need to look at your state statutes to see if there is a way to have them removed.

Message 4 of 11
electra
Established Contributor

My guess from your sig is that your liens are from CA FTB?  If so, I'm afraid you are most likely SOL in getting them withdrawn.  The FTB makes the IRS look like Girl Scouts.  Also, having it show as released on your CR won't help your score in the slightest but will help in a manual review so I would pursue updating it to released anyway.  My suggestion to you is to pull your LexisNexis Full File Disclosure records. (Will take about a month.)  Compare what's on there to what's on your reports.  Also, do you have copies of the liens?   Compare those to what is on your CRs. You can potentially dispute if they are not reporting correctly.  If they are not in LN there's a chance they may not be able to validate.  

Message 5 of 11
dougnukem
New Contributor

I'm curious about this as well.  I have the same issue, just a different state. (Indiana)

I scoured Google searches and the state statutes for hours with no clue of whether or not I can do anything.

Message 6 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

IC 6-1.1-23-12
Setting aside judgment; grounds

Sec. 12. (a) A judgment entered under section 9 or section 11 of this chapter may be set aside only for one (1) of the following reasons:
        (1) The person against whom the judgment was entered was not liable for the delinquent taxes, penalties, and collection expenses for which the judgment was entered.
        (2) The delinquent taxes, penalties, and collection expenses have been paid either in whole or in part.
        (3) The required written demand was not given in the manner prescribed in section 1 of this chapter.
        (4) The person against whom the judgment was entered is deceased, as evidenced by a certificate of death.
        (5) The corporation against whom the judgment was entered has been formally dissolved or is no longer in business.
        (6) The judgment is uncollectible as a result of bankruptcy.

Message 7 of 11
dougnukem
New Contributor

Awesome!  Thanks, guiness56!  Your search-fu is much stronger than mine.  I think I was looking for the wrong wording, in regards to removing the lien instead.  I've got some serious letter writing to do in the next few days for a few different issues along with this one...When I'm finally not working.   Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 11
Oyiwaa
Regular Contributor

Guiness,

would you be able to help me with MD state statuses for vacating judgements - I have a released/paid tax lien there.

cheers, Oyiwaa.

Message 9 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.