cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SF86 - I've dreaded this day for 7yrs...

tag
Qwerty99

SF86 - I've dreaded this day for 7yrs...

Well, the day i've been dreading for the last 7 years has arrived. The defense contractor I work for has informed me they will starting the process to get a secret clearance. I’ll have some blemishes on my credit report that I will need to explain. My story is probably similar to many. Broke college kids with credit cards and so on, so I wont bore you with many details. The purpose of this post is the get some feedback. I’m stressing out over the possibility Ill get denied and would like some advice on what steps to take to give myself a better chance. I will outline below the marks on my CR and hopefully someone who has been through this can provide some feedback.

Drugs – 2002 Experimented with marijuana. The only time it was used.

Arrests – None. I have had to appear in court for driving with a suspended license. Took care of the license and case was dismissed. I believe the ticket said it was a criminal offense. May have been 2006.

Financials – Here I will summarize whats on my credit report. Its not great, I know. I started trying to improve the report back in 2011. Its getting there, but a long way to go.

1. Judgment #1  - Settled as Agreed
  2. Judgment #2 – Last payment is May 31st, 2013.
  3. Judgment #3 – Balance remains just under 10k. Wages are being garnished. This one worries me the most. This was for a private student loan. When I consolidated my Federal student loans, I included this loan on my packet. I received the return packet stating the consolidation had gone through. I didn’t know private loans couldn’t be consolidated and that the packet only included my federal loans. I received a letter from the private loan holder after missing the first payment. I stupidly blew it off because I believed it was consolidated and might take a few weeks for the consolidation company to catch up with all the companies. Around this time I was deciding whether to look for a job where I went to school or move back home. I had changed addresses several times and didn’t receive any notices of judgment. My only notification was getting a paycheck with my wages garnished. This was obviously my mistake for not following up and assuming things would fix itself. Had I actually been aware of a possible garnishment I would have attempted to make a deal like I did with Judgments 1 and 2. Anyways, my wages are being garnished at 450/month, 10% INT and expect it to be paid off in a bit over 2yrs.
  4. Fingerhut – Chargeoff – Never heard of it but it was cheap so I paid it. I asked to verify debt and they said it was valid. Paid a collection agency. Balance is 0
  5. HSBC – Chargeoff – Paid a collection agency. Balance is 0
  6. Comcast – When I moved, my uncle asked to keep the cable in my name to save him the trouble. He fell behind and I was hit. I Paid the balance and shows as paid in full. 0 Balance
  7. Verizon – Same as above. Uncle asked to leave in his name. Last payment in May 2013.
  8. LOGIX – PAID in full. 0 balance
  9. Midland Funding – PAID 0 Balance
  10. Macys – Pays as agreed ON-TIME
  11. Credit Card #1 – Pays as agreed ON-TIME
  12. Credit Card #2 – Pays as Agreed ON-TIME
  13. Credit Card #3 – Pays as agrred ON –TIME
  14. Student Loans (Consolidated) – Pays as agreed ON-TIME
  15. T-Mobile – Not on credit report but always on-time.

In summary of my "essay" above…

3 Judgments. 1 Paid, 1 with final payment in May, 2013. 1 being paid through garnishment.

6 accounts in Charge-off or collection. 5 have 0 balance with last item to be paid off in May, 2013.

6 Accounts in good standing always paid on time.

Based on what I have provided, do I have a shot? What steps can I take better the odds? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Cageym
Established Contributor

Re: SF86 - I've dreaded this day for 7yrs...

I've been doing the clearance thing since 1981, and just renewed mine last year. Yes, you have a shot. 1st, be absolutely honest, and don't try to hide anything. They WILL find out. Explain everything because they will ask, and they will run your CR's. A Secret isn't that big of a deal, I've actually seen felons (non-violent types, 20 year old convictions) get them. There is no guarantee but you do have a shot. You'll have an interview sometime after the paperwork is submitted and that's when the questions get asked.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 2 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Been there done that.  Except mine was for a TS/SSI. 

The good thing is, though they are on your CR, they are all paid and you have been making on time payments on your current TLs.  That is what they want to see.  If you had 5 year old collections that had never been paid, that would be a problem.  Or not keeping current with your current debt.

Have an explanation for each item, just in case they ask.

One of the main things they look at is how much in debt you are.  Would you be willing to sell secrets for money.  Would you be a risk to national security.  You are in a good spot.

Just be calm and answer all the questions truthfully.  You'll be fine.

Message 3 of 10
meshon711
New Contributor

I'm a federal employee and I'm wondering what type of jobs are these?

Starting Score: 548
Current Score: 595
Goal Score: 600 ALMOST THERE!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@meshon711 wrote:
I'm a federal employee and I'm wondering what type of jobs are these?

I was Active Duty Air Force and my AFSC required a TS/SSI.

Message 5 of 10
makeupho
New Contributor

I got my Secret clearance (employee of a defense contractor, contract is with the Navy) 3 yrs ago with a not so clean financial record. I was at the time, and still am, in a BK13. The advice in this thread is correct. Don't sweat it. Be totally honest in your paperwork, and if they interview you, be upfront there too. I was interviewed approx 1 month after submitting paperwork, and received my clearance approx a month after that.

Good luck.

Ch13 filed 3/2009 : discharged 1/2014
Starting 2/16/2013:
EQ673 TU667
Current 6/3/2018: EX816 EQ806 TU820
Goal: 850

Message 6 of 10
meshon711
New Contributor

OH! LOL definately not my line of work! I work for the Department of Veteran Affairs taking care of veterans. But hey I learned something new today! Thanks for the information. 

Message 7 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@meshon711 wrote:

OH! LOL definately not my line of work! I work for the Department of Veteran Affairs taking care of veterans. But hey I learned something new today! Thanks for the information. 

And thank you for your service. I am retired now and receive compensation for my service connected disabilities.  Considering your workload I can imagine how busy your days are taking care of us.

Message 8 of 10
meshon711
New Contributor

No the thanks should go to you and everyone else that served!! America wouldn't be America without our soliders!! Yes it's a very busy and challenging job but I have a family to take care of and there are A LOT of vets that I love to death and who appreciate every we do for them and that makes my day a lot easier!! 

Message 9 of 10
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Been there before I was offered a job had to get a security clearance I had charge offs , collection accounts , judgements , and was behind on all my student loans I was honest about it . And explained how I was going to take care of all of it and mine went through no problem. Everyone makes mistakes they just want to make sure you are aren't hiding anything and can't be blackmailed or compromised. So if you are honest it will be fine . Took me forever to fill mine out having to find all the account numbers and collection company's numbers.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.