Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suing me for fraud? WHAT?!

tag
RedHead1
Valued Member

Suing me for fraud? WHAT?!

A law firm is claiming that I committed fraud for opening a credit card and stopping to pay after 2 months. (Which I would dispute was just 2 months, fyi.) Has anyone ever heard of being charged with fraud for something like this??

Starting Score: 464 October 2012
Current Score: 544 (+80 points whoo hoo!)
Goal Score: 600

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Suing me for fraud? WHAT?!

Do you mean that they have filed a civil complaint asserting you fraudulently opened an account, or are they simply threatening to do so?

Fraud is a specific assertion that requries proof of your fraudulent intent.

Simply defaulting after opening an account is not evidence of any intent to defraud.

Bringing a frivolous or harassing action could also subject them to sanctions by the court if they lack any evidence of such fraudulent intent on your part.

I would not be concerned if the only evidence they offer is your subsequent default.

Message 2 of 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Suing me for fraud? WHAT?!

@RobertEG wrote:

Do you mean that they have filed a civil complaint asserting you fraudulently opened an account, or are they simply threatening to do so?

Fraud is a specific assertion that requries proof of your fraudulent intent.

Simply defaulting after opening an account is not evidence of any intent to defraud.

Bringing a frivolous or harassing action could also subject them to sanctions by the court if they lack any evidence of such fraudulent intent on your part.

I would not be concerned if the only evidence they offer is your subsequent default.

I agree with this, it would be difficult to prove intent.  If they have threatened to sue and don't follow through then that in itself is a violation.  You may want to reach out for legal advice from a local consumer attorney if they do pursue it.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.