cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to clean up the last couple of blemishes on my Credit Reports - need advice.

tag
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

Trying to clean up the last couple of blemishes on my Credit Reports - need advice.

I am in the midst of trying to take control of my credit, and have just a few things left that I am unsure of how to take care or (or if it is possible to take care of them). I have a couple of baddies on my reports related to a student loan that was defaulted on in 2007 (unbeknownst to me). The loan shows up as 'Collection Account', and then as 'Payment after Charge Off/Collection' on my reports (as two items - I think this is the same loan listed twice). It is similar across all of my reports, with last action between mid 2008 and early 2009 (it varies by report).

I called the US Department of Education (contact info listed on my CR), and they stated that they had nothing on file for me at all, and gave me a number to try and call (which turned out to be the info listed for the other 'Payment after Charge Off/Collection'). I called that number and they stated that they also have nothing on file for me, and recommend that I call a different number, which turned out to be the US Department of Education (again).

I am unsure what my next action should be regarding these two 'accounts' should be. Is this a situation where I can write a GW letter and the CRA might drop them, or are they stuck on my CR until 2014/2015?

I also have a BB&T auto loan late payment the same month that I refinanced with them on a loan, and a payment was not due (mid 2007), but shows on my CR (both BB&T loans show on my CR, with dates that coincide with this). I haven't been able to get through to a live human being on their end to try and figure that out. Is this a situation where I should dispute it in writing and explain that I refinananced that month, and a payment on the old loan was not due and may have been a mistake on their end, or should I try a GW letter to the same affect?

In other news, I called Capital One last night regarding 2x 30 day late marks on my CC (2007, 2011) and asked what could be done about them, and they volunteered to submit a dispute to the CRAs on my behalf. I think that is a good thing.

I appreciate any thoughts/comments/suggestions on the matter, and in the meantime I will be reading through as many posts on here as possible trying to figure it out myself.

Starting Scores: myFICO EQ: 678, myFICO TU: 676, myFICO EX: 678 (01/2013)
Latest Scores: myFICO EQ: 789, myFICO TU: 782, myFICO EX: 788
My Wallet: American Express BCE, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

Re: Trying to clean up the last couple of blemishes on my Credit Reports - need advice.

A quick bump to the top (couldn't find a rule on bumping posts, sorry mods if this is premature) due to being 9.5 hours ahead of EST.

My Wallet: American Express BCE, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 2 of 7
tiffo02
Valued Member

Re: Trying to clean up the last couple of blemishes on my Credit Reports - need advice.

EDIT.   After you dispute cra have 30 days to verify the debt is yours or they just remove it

Information was removed that violates the forums TOS.

Shogun, myFICO moderator

Message 3 of 7
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

Alright well I am a little confused now. I finally got through to a human with BB&T, and they stated that they did not have anything on file for me regarding a late payment in the time frame that my CR shows. TU and EQ both show a 30 day late notice (from myFICO and annualcreditreport.com), while EX does not (from ACR and Quizzle). I was able to file a dispute with TransUnion online for the BB&T account that had a 30-day late notice on it. When I called EQ to file the same dispute, they told me that their report does not show a 30 day late notice on either of the two BB&T accounts, even though I literally downloaded the EQ ACR report an hour before the call. Any idea why this would be the case?

Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 4 of 7
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

@_jb_ wrote:

I called the US Department of Education (contact info listed on my CR), and they stated that they had nothing on file for me at all, and gave me a number to try and call (which turned out to be the info listed for the other 'Payment after Charge Off/Collection'). I called that number and they stated that they also have nothing on file for me, and recommend that I call a different number, which turned out to be the US Department of Education (again).

I am unsure what my next action should be regarding these two 'accounts' should be. Is this a situation where I can write a GW letter and the CRA might drop them, or are they stuck on my CR until 2014/2015?

Ok. A quick update on this. I finally found out that these accounts are on the USDE's old system, and are infact listed as 'Paid/For Removal' within their system. According to the USDE, I need to write the CRA's and dispute these charges, noting that according to the USDE, they are flagged for removal from my CR per our agreement, and their two systems should talk to each other. Is there anything I should make sure I state in my dispute letter to ensure that this is finally taken care of?

Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 5 of 7
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

Bump/Update:

Capital One no longer shows any lates on my EQ credit report, resulting in a 12 pt increase. I am hoping that holds true for the other two reports as well, but have not confirmed yet.

I am trying to discern what can be done about these three baddies that are left on my report, and I am hoping that a picture will help. On the BB&T and one of the Dept. of Ed. accounts, they show paid in full/zero balance, etc. in the description, but are still actively reporting with the current status as past due. Is that right, or should they say paid as agreed/closed/something similar to match the description. Also, these two are still actively reporting as of this year, while other closed accounts on my report stopped reporting as of the date closed (they were in good standing). Thanks again for any help in making this clearer to me. Yall are the best!

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/209/bbt.png/][IMG]http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1936/bbt.p...

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/404/dpofeduc.png/][IMG]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1607/...

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/usdepted.png/][IMG]http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/835/u...

Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 6 of 7
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

If you dispute the educational item with the CRAs. when they investigate and report back if they verify that the debt does exist they will inform you as to what their source is. You can then go deal with that creditor directly. If they cannot find that creditor, then they will of course clear it off their report.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.