cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards better to app for between...

tag
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Which cards better to app for between...

Right now I'm at a 590 EQ FICO, not sure on TU will pull that in a few months.  EQ will raise within the next few months as I pay off the last collection next month.  I have no open credit unless you count student loans.  No credit cards, personal loans etc.   I have no inquiries on my EQ either.

I plan on buying a home in about 2 years.   Possibly 18mos if I find a good deal.

i would like to get a credit card in a few months that will grow CL wise over the next few years and wonder if Sears, Home Depot or Lowe's store cards are something I'll be able to get with low 600 scores?  Or even worth getting at all?

Are one of them better than the others? 

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
apandabear
Regular Contributor

Re: Which cards better to app for between...

Just FYI, assuming your collection is with a collection agency (and not a past-due OC account), your FICO score isn't going to go up by paying off that collection unless you have a pay-for-delete arrangement. If you don't, I'd recommend starting a Good Will letter campaign to the CA.

Try posting in the Credit Cards forum. And check out whogavemecredit.com

Good luck!

2009-10 - C/Os
2011 - Debts paid, no open credit
2012 - Rebuilding started, secured cards opened, SL rehabbed - EQ myFICO 636
2014 - 10k Discover, 3.5k Freedom, AmEx Green, SL, Auto Loan - EQ myFICO 695
Message 2 of 5
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Thanks for the info - yes it is with a CA and I will be sending a PFD first :-)

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 3 of 5
apandabear
Regular Contributor

To try to further answer your questions, any cards issued by GE should grow with you. Walmart and Amazon seem to be the easiest to get, and you can ask for CLI every 4 months. I don't have these yet (waiting for my current CCs to report 9 months, maybe a year), but check out the Walmart Credit Card threads in the CC forum. Good info there. And you might get Walmart/Amazon with your scores.

2009-10 - C/Os
2011 - Debts paid, no open credit
2012 - Rebuilding started, secured cards opened, SL rehabbed - EQ myFICO 636
2014 - 10k Discover, 3.5k Freedom, AmEx Green, SL, Auto Loan - EQ myFICO 695
Message 4 of 5
courtney091082
Regular Contributor

With a score below 600 I would say your best bet card wise are one of the secured ones. And better to go for it now than later so it can age as you wait to go for your mortgage. Great advice about the PFD! You can get good deals on secured cards with credit unions. I had the secured card with BOA and never had any trouble. It graduated with no issses to unsecured fairly quickly, can't remember exactly but under a years time for sure.

9/1/2012 ...DRUMROLL .... EQ .. 776!!

I'm FINALLY a homeowner .. 10/24/12!!!!

My Cards ~~~GARDENING~~~ BNSF CU ($1000) BOA ($2500) Amazon / GE ($900) AMEX BCE ($2500) Chase Freedom ($3000) US Bank Cash + (7500)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.