cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which would have a greater impact (i.e. Which should I do?)

tag
germese1975
Regular Contributor

Re: Which would have a greater impact (i.e. Which should I do?)

Guiness.... Thank you again! I was deployed when this account CO, and I'm deployed right now, yet again.

Which aspect of SCRA would I use? I know it protects me from law action. This is not a debt I had prior to joining the military, so they don't have to honor the 6% interest. Which part should I cite when speaking with them? I'm going to call them tonight when I get a chance. I am hoping to have all my scores over the 640 mark before returning home.

Gardening as of: 23 JUL 2017 / FICO 8 (As of 14 Jul 2017): EQ: 663, TU: 723, EX: 680

Message 11 of 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you are reserve or guard, your active duty would be when you deployed so it would cover it.  It has to be a debt incurred before active duty.

If you are active duty and got the card after active duty, no, they don't have to honor it.

Clarifies and restates existing law that limits to 6 percent interest on credit obligations incurred prior to military service or activation, including credit card debt, for active duty servicemembers. The SCRA unambiguously states that no interest above 6 percent can accrue for credit obligations (that were established prior to active duty or activation) while on active duty, nor can that excess interest become due once the servicemember leaves active duty instead that portion above 6 percent is permanently forgiven.  Furthermore, the monthly payment must be reduced by the amount of interest saved during the covered period.

Message 12 of 15
germese1975
Regular Contributor

Guiness.... That's what I was afraid of. I've been active duty 19 years now, so SCRA won't help. Hopefully, they'll give leniency for my reason behind the card going unpaid. My now ex-wife quit paying all the bills while I was deployed 09-10 and spent the money.

Thank you, once again, for all your insight.

Gardening as of: 23 JUL 2017 / FICO 8 (As of 14 Jul 2017): EQ: 663, TU: 723, EX: 680

Message 13 of 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You can try and I hope they do.  Good luck.

I was military for 25 years, retired now.  Anymore questions, just ask.

Message 14 of 15
germese1975
Regular Contributor

Well that didn't go as well as planned...

They sent me over to First Financial Asset Management. I wound up for a settled in full for $1300. I was able to talk them down from their initial request of $1900. I guess I'll wait until it shows paid with Barclays, then call them and ask them to delete the TL.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.