Did you mean: 

Did myFICO ruin my relationship?

tag
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Re: Did myFICO ruin my relationship?

@inara220 wrote:

Yikes... that is messed up.

I don't understand why people do these things.  Why... when someone else is paying for your room and board, would you go out and get a new vehicle?  I would have taken the bus before doing that!

What is crazy about the whole situation is she had a perfectly functioning car.  2010 Civic; low miles (under 50K), no mechanical issues of any kind.  She was within 1 1/2 years of paying it off.  

If she had a beater or a car that was having all kinds of issues, I maybe could have seen the rationale in getting another car.  But even then, I wouldn't have advised getting a brand new car, especially since her other obligations were not being met.  The whole thing still doesn't make sense to me.  But she said she "fell in love" with the truck, so she had to have it.

One other humourous aside...after we broke up and she realized we would not reconcile, she sent me a long winded e-mail basically suggesting I should PAY HER some money because I sprang all of this on her (we'd been discussing this issue since March 2014), and she had not planned or put any money for rent or a deposit (I guess living 1 1/2+ years rent/utility free do not count).  She told me she was incurring a lot of expenses that she did not have before (in part because of the new truck!), and I basically "owed" her for putting her out without notice (I gave her 60 days).  

That e-mail went straight into the trash bin, where it belonged. 

Message 81 of 115
inara220

Obviously she is still a child and expects other people to take care of her. 

Might I suggest that the next person you date be an independent woman in her own right that doesn't need rescuing?  Much easier to have a mutually beneficial partnership when both parties CAN stand on their own but CHOOSE to be together because they love and respect eachother.

12/23/14 - Experian Score of 640
2/4/15 - Transunion Score of 671
5/07/15 Transunion Score of 725
Message 82 of 115
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@inara220 wrote:

Obviously she is still a child and expects other people to take care of her. 

Might I suggest that the next person you date be an independent woman in her own right that doesn't need rescuing?  Much easier to have a mutually beneficial partnership when both parties CAN stand on their own but CHOOSE to be together because they love and respect eachother.

Heh, I think that's a goal for most people on this forum.

Personally this and other situations are getting me to think on how I can recognize this issue earlier in the process.  If people have ideas on that I'd love to hear them... finances are just too important in this day and age.

@DW: good job trashing that absurd request; hopefully she learns from this eventually but somehow I doubt it... suspect everything is someone else's fault in her life.

        
Message 83 of 115
hapagrrl
Regular Contributor

Hey, Dw -- OMG!! "you let me live for free and paid for everythingfor me, so now you gotta keep paying me .." to what? Breathe? Good LORD. Some people have GALL. Hate to tell ya, but it sounds like you were dating a cr*ck smoker, lol! 

Well, my indignation aside, congrats on going with your gut and doing what's right for you -- and saving yourself from years of misery. 

@Revelate - I think I don't know how we could recognize these kinds of folks.. Except to say that Fico should seriously consider branching out and creating a dating version of the forums/a dating site. Think about it - most of us have our scores in our siggies, so - no secret there. And we are honest about  our situation, and if it's not great (ahem), then we here ask for advice on achieving our goals, getting good scores or maintaining good scores or you know, going on app sprees, lol.  Anyway, everything is pretty much up front: where we are now, the lessons we've learned from past mistakes, what  our goals are, etc.  The downside is, I'm guessing it won't take long for it to go downhill real quick (some people just HAVE to make things icky) -- the moderators would definitely have their jobs cut out for them -- but.. seems like if it could be "kept clean," it'd be a good option to explore..? 

Starting Score, 2011: TU 635, EQ 637, EX/FAKO 538
2014 (mortgage broker pull): TU 670, EQ 669, EX 674
2017 FICO 8: TU 730, EQ 732, EX 738 - Finally made the 700 club!
2021 FICO 8: TU 693 EQ 705 EX 690
I only have four cards, so not worth showing. $15,600 total CL.
Message 84 of 115
wmweeza
Established Contributor

I agree! We need a MyFico Dating section! We can be matched on scores or credit goals, and then branch out to include religion/politics etc. Since most dating sites don't really discuss finances I'd bet it would result in more successful relationships! Though count me out, I'm happily married and my credit score is 50 points higher then my hubby's

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 85 of 115
hapagrrl
Regular Contributor

@wmweeza -- Way to go! on being happily married and the higher score, hee-hee!

Message 86 of 115
Pway
Valued Contributor

i'm sorry but I say run, run, run while you ahead.  Your girl friend is not financial responsible what so ever.  These are the early stages and all the signs are spelled out for you on a silver platter.  You putting your credit health on the line for her, I don't think so.  I get you have been together for 2 1/2 years but I say you need to break this off.  It may hurt but it's for the best.  I'm a little upset when I began to read your post.  

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 87 of 115
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@Pway wrote:

i'm sorry but I say run, run, run while you ahead.  Your girl friend is not financial responsible what so ever.  These are the early stages and all the signs are spelled out for you on a silver platter.  You putting your credit health on the line for her, I don't think so.  I get you have been together for 2 1/2 years but I say you need to break this off.  It may hurt but it's for the best.  I'm a little upset when I began to read your post.  

Way ahead of ya, Pway!  Smiley Wink  

I first posted in March 2014...time and circumstances eventually made me come to my senses.  We did call it quits last November (see above posts).

THANK GOD I did not follow my inital instinct and co-sign a debt consolidation loan!

Message 88 of 115
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@hapagrrl wrote:

Hey, Dw -- OMG!! "you let me live for free and paid for everythingfor me, so now you gotta keep paying me .." to what? Breathe? Good LORD. Some people have GALL. Hate to tell ya, but it sounds like you were dating a cr*ck smoker, lol! 

Well, my indignation aside, congrats on going with your gut and doing what's right for you -- and saving yourself from years of misery. 

@Revelate - I think I don't know how we could recognize these kinds of folks.. Except to say that Fico should seriously consider branching out and creating a dating version of the forums/a dating site. Think about it - most of us have our scores in our siggies, so - no secret there. And we are honest about  our situation, and if it's not great (ahem), then we here ask for advice on achieving our goals, getting good scores or maintaining good scores or you know, going on app sprees, lol.  Anyway, everything is pretty much up front: where we are now, the lessons we've learned from past mistakes, what  our goals are, etc.  The downside is, I'm guessing it won't take long for it to go downhill real quick (some people just HAVE to make things icky) -- the moderators would definitely have their jobs cut out for them -- but.. seems like if it could be "kept clean," it'd be a good option to explore..? 

I LOVE the dating site idea!  People would have tag lines like "Hey baby...I've got a 780 score...holla at your boy!".

As far as keeping it "clean", good luck with that on an internet dating site!  It's hard enough for the mods to keep things civil on here Smiley Wink  I can only imagine what type of pictures will start popping up on the Siggys!!!!

Message 89 of 115
hapagrrl
Regular Contributor

@DW -- alrighty-then: thanks for the icky mental images of potential crazy-a** siggies.. ewwwww!!! LOL! Oh, well - one can always dream. Smiley Frustrated

Message 90 of 115
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.