Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A lost wallet and kudos

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A lost wallet and kudos

Not a lost/found wallet story, but the spouse found a class ring when we were floating the river one day. Saw something sparkling and insisted we stop and see what it was. I figured it was a piece of a beer can left behind by those who think the river is their trash can. There was a name and school mascot on it. The name was an uncommon name, so we looked in the phone book. There was only one listing for that name and the number has been disconnected. So, we went to the address that was listed and sure enough they still lived there. Turns out the class ring belong to the couple's son who had been killed in a car accident coming back from a place on that river upstream from where we found it about 10 years earlier when he was a senior in high school. They never could figure out where his ring was as he always wore it and it was never found. There was a big story in the local newspaper about it(small town, everything makes the newspaper).

Then one day after the spouse and I met, we were at the in-laws and someone pulled up in the drive. Went outside and this person gets out and ask for my father in law. He wasn't home, so the spouse asked if she could help them or give him a message. They asked if he had been in the military and we told them that he had. The pulled out a set of dog tags they had found under their house while re-doing their foundation. Everything was readable and when the father in law came home he says if they have serial number XXXXXX on them, they are mine. Sure enough they did. My father in law said he hadn't seen them since shortly after he came home from the service which was just over 40 years before this.

Message 11 of 16
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

That's cool, Sidewinder.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both of these stories gave me goosebumps. And, wow, what that ring must have meant to those poor parents. More than we'll ever know I'm sure.

@Anonymous wrote:

Not a lost/found wallet story, but the spouse found a class ring when we were floating the river one day. Saw something sparkling and insisted we stop and see what it was. I figured it was a piece of a beer can left behind by those who think the river is their trash can. There was a name and school mascot on it. The name was an uncommon name, so we looked in the phone book. There was only one listing for that name and the number has been disconnected. So, we went to the address that was listed and sure enough they still lived there. Turns out the class ring belong to the couple's son who had been killed in a car accident coming back from a place on that river upstream from where we found it about 10 years earlier when he was a senior in high school. They never could figure out where his ring was as he always wore it and it was never found. There was a big story in the local newspaper about it(small town, everything makes the newspaper).

Then one day after the spouse and I met, we were at the in-laws and someone pulled up in the drive. Went outside and this person gets out and ask for my father in law. He wasn't home, so the spouse asked if she could help them or give him a message. They asked if he had been in the military and we told them that he had. The pulled out a set of dog tags they had found under their house while re-doing their foundation. Everything was readable and when the father in law came home he says if they have serial number XXXXXX on them, they are mine. Sure enough they did. My father in law said he hadn't seen them since shortly after he came home from the service which was just over 40 years before this.

Message 13 of 16
GFer
Valued Contributor

That is so cool, Sidewinder! Thanks for sharing!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

When both my kids were very little, I was leaving the store and put my wallet on top of the car while I put them in the carseats.  I forgot about it and drove off.  Realized when I got home what had happened.  I went back to look for it but could not find it.

About 6 months later someone came to my house and returned it to me.  I had crossed railroad tracks and it fell down in the tracks.  He found it as he was walking along the tracks.

Message 15 of 16
itsjustmeibe
Regular Contributor

My b/f left his wallet in Animal Kingdom this summer. Musta fell out of his pocket while he was trying to gain shelter from the pouring rain. Some kind soul took it to the lost & found. It would have been a nightmare trying to fly back home without ID.
Message Edited by itsjustmeibe on 11-13-2008 10:57 AM
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.