Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here comes Ike...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Here comes Ike...

Nope, stuck here for a couple reasons. I will be safe. Good luck to you as well.
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, if Gustav wasn't enough, now we have Ike.  I am near New Orleans, LA and I find we are having worse weather with Ike than we did with Gustav.  The winds are definitely lower, but they are still blowing at 50 mph.  That isn't good considering all of the roofs that were already damaged.  Now, we are having to deal with flooding issues.  I am also ready for hurricane season to end SOON.
Message 12 of 20
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Scout1965 wrote:
OK. I seriously want hurricane season to be over.
I live about 25 miles NW of Houston, and we are preparing for Hurricane Ike....
Stay safe everyone...

I have an uncle who lives very near you; he and my aunt happen to be on vacation in Europe at the moment, so my aunt's sister who has lived with them for many years is alone in the house. We are all worried, the satellite images on the TV news look pretty fearsome.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 13 of 20
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

Scout1965 wrote:
Thanks, I have the Benadryl ready.  He gets 25 mg every 4th of July and for New Year's because of the fireworks.  I was just hoping to avoid it as he gets this glazed look.  Smiley Wink  But, it will make him drowsy so he can sleep through the worst of the noise. 

My neighbor has a black lab that he hunts with.  His dog is not afraid of storms or loud noises.  He jokes that my golden retriever is missing one of his hunting genes.   LOL  I can't image what would happen if Scout was next to someone firing a hunting rifle.

Can't sleep.  Off to check on the latest projection for Hurricane Ike.

Please keep us updated on how you are all managing.
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ike update 11:15am, Saturday

Power just came back on a few minutes ago.  Here in Cypress, we still have a lot of wind and rain.  There is a rain band just sitting here on the north end of the Houston metro area.  (Highway 290 to the northwest, 45 north, and 59 north.)  There are more rain bands on the way.Smiley Mad

Have only been outside once to let Scout out.  (He was on his leash and we stayed very close to the house.  We were both soaked and we were outside maybe 2 minutes.)  Debris and leaves everywhere.   I don't have any broken windows or leaks in the ceiling.  I do see downed trees on my block, so I may have some minor damage (missing shingles, chimney, DISH satellite, etc).  I will go and assess once the wind and rain stops later this afternoon.  Thankfully, no flooding - more of a wind event here in Cypress.

Hope everyone is safe...  Last night was harrowing to say the least.  We slept (OK, tried to sleep) on the floor in the master bath and listened to the rain and howling wind.  Thought for sure that the roof was going to blow off.
Message 15 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Glad you made it through OK, and didn't drown in panicked-golden-retriever drool!

I hope you find your home reasonably intact once it's all done.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 20
MattH
Senior Contributor

@MattH wrote:

@Scout1965 wrote:
OK. I seriously want hurricane season to be over.
I live about 25 miles NW of Houston, and we are preparing for Hurricane Ike....
Stay safe everyone...

I have an uncle who lives very near you; he and my aunt happen to be on vacation in Europe at the moment, so my aunt's sister who has lived with them for many years is alone in the house. We are all worried, the satellite images on the TV news look pretty fearsome.

I just talked on the phone with my aunt's sister, who says it was pretty incredible during the night but the house is intact. She went around with a flashlight checking for water and none came in. Their power is of course out and may be out for a while. Tomorrow she plans to spend a few hours in the yard picking up tree limbs and other debris. My aunt and uncle have exchanged email messages with their kids, who have spoken on the phone with her, so they also know their house is OK.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

MattH,

Glad your relatives are OK.

We feel truly blessed that we did not have damage to the house.  After I got some sleep this afternoon, I walked around and looked for damage.  Some of my bushes were damaged, but that was it.  Chimney is intact, DISH is still there, and I did not lose any roof shingles.  Tomorrow, I will clean up the yard - tons of pine needles, leaves, branches etc.  My next door neighbor lost a tree (it fell into the street) and most of my neighbors lost roof shingles.  No major damage to the houses in my subdivision.

Others have not been so lucky.  I have been watching the news and the photos and video are very distressing.  Galveston, NASA, Clear Lake, Kemah, etc all got hit very hard.  My heart goes out to the families affected.  I work downtown and the local news showed footage of the Chase bldg - tons of windows blown out.  There is debris all over the streets downtown:  glass, metal, etc.   Downtown Houston is currently closed for cleanup and assessment.

Take care everyone.
Message 18 of 20
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

Scout1965 wrote:
MattH,

We feel truly blessed that we did not have damage to the house.  After I got some sleep this afternoon, I walked around and looked for damage.  Some of my bushes were damaged, but that was it.  Chimney is intact, DISH is still there, and I did not lose any roof shingles.  Tomorrow, I will clean up the yard - tons of pine needles, leaves, branches etc.  My next door neighbor lost a tree (it fell into the street) and most of my neighbors lost roof shingles.  No major damage to the houses in my subdivision.

Others have not been so lucky.  I have been watching the news and the photos and video are very distressing.  Galveston, NASA, Clear Lake, Kemah, etc all got hit very hard.  My heart goes out to the families affected.  I work downtown and the local news showed footage of the Chase bldg - tons of windows blown out.  There is debris all over the streets downtown:  glass, metal, etc.   Downtown Houston is currently closed for cleanup and assessment.

Take care everyone.

I saw the footage of the Chase Building, it took a big hit.
Glad to hear you all fared well. Clean up from this will take some time.
Message 19 of 20
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Scout1965 wrote:
MattH,
We feel truly blessed that we did not have damage to the house. After I got some sleep this afternoon, I walked around and looked for damage. Some of my bushes were damaged, but that was it. Chimney is intact, DISH is still there, and I did not lose any roof shingles. Tomorrow, I will clean up the yard - tons of pine needles, leaves, branches etc. My next door neighbor lost a tree (it fell into the street) and most of my neighbors lost roof shingles. No major damage to the houses in my subdivision.
Others have not been so lucky. I have been watching the news and the photos and video are very distressing. Galveston, NASA, Clear Lake, Kemah, etc all got hit very hard. My heart goes out to the families affected. I work downtown and the local news showed footage of the Chase bldg - tons of windows blown out. There is debris all over the streets downtown: glass, metal, etc. Downtown Houston is currently closed for cleanup and assessment.
Take care everyone.

My cousin reports her power is back on, she had water pretty soon after the storm but I bet she's glad to have hot showers and air conditioning again. Of course she had a stinky mess in the fridge.
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.