Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling things on eBay

tag
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

Re: Selling things on eBay

Yes, the APC machine has tracking! There is an option on the screen somewhere, trust me! I did it in multiple States!

ALWAYS put tracking, unless you're shipping something worth less than $5

Message 11 of 19
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@Poki wrote:

Just about true

Though the only time I had a "problem", and I mean a big problem, eBay ended up siding with me (lucky me). 

Right now, I'm the OP, I have three items with no payments. Sent out an unpaid item case.

At least one of the three contacted me, here is his message:

"I dont have moeny in my creditcard, what we can to do?" Smiley Indifferent

I always did the "Buy It Now" Option with "immediate payment required", otherwise the buyer can't buy it. This way you'll get paid 100% of the time. I got tired of people not paying as well so just resulted in that method.

For now, all you have to do is wait and ebay will credit back your listing fee and final processing fees. Just don't ship the item obviously.

Message 12 of 19
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I send nice reminders if I don't receive payment within 48 hours. If that doesn't work, they I open a case a the 4 day point.

I've had 3 non-payers in the last 6 weeks. I think I'll put them on my special Christmas card list.
Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 13 of 19
Poki
Valued Member

@SuperKirby wrote:

@Poki wrote:

Just about true

Though the only time I had a "problem", and I mean a big problem, eBay ended up siding with me (lucky me). 

Right now, I'm the OP, I have three items with no payments. Sent out an unpaid item case.

I always did the "Buy It Now" Option with "immediate payment required", otherwise the buyer can't buy it. This way you'll get paid 100% of the time. I got tired of people not paying as well so just resulted in that method.

For now, all you have to do is wait and ebay will credit back your listing fee and final processing fees. Just don't ship the item obviously.

obviously

@SuperKirby wrote:

Yes, the APC machine has tracking! There is an option on the screen somewhere, trust me! I did it in multiple States!

ALWAYS put tracking, unless you're shipping something worth less than $5

The last time I was at USPS they DID NOT have that option.

"Neither a Borrower Nor a Lender Be"
Message 14 of 19
paramed3
Regular Contributor

I sell on ebay daily. I have bought and resold 12 guitars so for this year with many other things. I have found what people are willing to sell for nothing on Craisglist will bring good money on Ebay. Their fees about kill me. UPS was my worse mistake. They were charging me 80 bucks for a guitar and United States Postal Service is only 37.50 that will give you a track but no insurance. I found things no matter how large or small will shipped 1/2 at USPS than at UPS. If it is over a certain weight you have to go UPS but most things are not. I even sell small Maybelline cosmetics I get at liquidation sells online. I am debating on an ebay business as I just moved into a 2 car garage loft apartment and the 2 car downstairs is huge. A great place for my ebay business on a large scale and keep it away from the house or living area. It has plenty of room to put shelves for all my boxes, bubble wrap and other things needed to sell and ship. Keep this in mind. Always try to buy things you know you can get 100% of your money on. Cost you 50.00 you have to get 100 to make it on ebay as their fee structure is a rip off and then paypal gets your change. Always make the buyer pays for the shipping instead of free shipping or have it in your profit margin or you will be selling for your hobby. You will make nothing. It's a hard hard job to sell there. Its hard when you sell your behind off and get an ebay bill for 450 that month. I have had that plenty of times and was lucky I made 1500 that month. Seems great but that is probably 7.00 an hour if that. If you are selling your stuff the good news is the profit is great but you soon run out of your stuff and have to find other stuff but it raises great cash flow to pay bills and extra on cards and such. It really helped me get out of the hole. Besides its something fun and something you can really get your GF or fiance or entire family into if they show interest. If not they are just in the way. If you get to the point you go picking at shops and yardsales you will make money. I hope by the end of next year I can make powerseller but then again it's so much easier to just get up and go work 9-5 each day. But you have more opportunity to move up with your business and keep good bookwork on your sales so you know what sells best and sells worse and the profit on items, it will pay off in the end if you do this. After you sell 50 things you start to forget what you paid for things. Yea you have your transactions there on ebay but that does not tell you what you paid for it at the local flea market or yardsale. Good luck and there is money in it just hard work. I ran an ad also in the paper to sell of others but I make nothing on that. They do not have a clue what it takes to sell there so when you tell them 30% of what you get they think you are ripping them off. If they are hard up for money I just offer to buy things I know I can resell. I missed the best deal of my life 2 weeks ago. A guy had a 2700 Les Paul he had just bought 3 months ago. I had him down to 1000 cash and I felt bad that day and did not go get it time the deal was done. he sold it that night for 1700. I had researched and I knew I could get 1700-2200 on ebay. Minus their fee structure I was still going to make 1000.

Starting FICO Score 2007: >> >> 533 -- God those were some Dark Days !!
Current >>>> 9-29-15 - (Experian 800 FICO-8 - (Equifax 798) - ( Transunion 808 )FICO Goals: 820-830 For all 3 or above
Ultimate Fico 850 x 3 Even if for a week Just to say I crawled out of the sewer and trust me it was the pits. I could not borrow a cent
Message 15 of 19
paramed3
Regular Contributor

As Far as boxes, bubble wrap, paper and clean paper you can go to furniture stores for boxes and Styrofoam, Cato is great for clean shoe box paper and smaller boxes and you can cut them down to the size you need. I get it out of every dumpster I can find. You have to be careful and ask as I got stopped one night for doing it and a warning for scavenger. The officer said he could have charged me 1050.00. That killed my dumper days. If I need something bad I go in the store or the loading dock and ask and they always say " sure get what you need" Respect goes a long ways when you want for free.  As the other poster said I always list my stuff on Craigslist as well. The fees are FREE. I have sold a lot there but most things sell on eBay. Another point made was if you get in a dispute Ebay will side with the buyer. Never once have I had them side with me. I have 100% positive feedback and it meant nothing to eBay. They locked my paypal account for 1000 to pay a guy 250 where he said a guitar was not the condition I said it was. He was full of it the guitar was like brand new. He just wanted his international fees paid for shipping and I ended up paying them and put NO INTERNATIONAL on every listing I had. This was to one of their select countries and still I was the loser. Craigslist ? You will get scammers. I can spot them a mile away. When anyone wants to pay retail and pay you up front to your paypal they are a scam. They will want to pay you and have someone come pick it up as they work offshore. I write back only if you send your sister as payment do you get my item. HA I never hear back. 

Starting FICO Score 2007: >> >> 533 -- God those were some Dark Days !!
Current >>>> 9-29-15 - (Experian 800 FICO-8 - (Equifax 798) - ( Transunion 808 )FICO Goals: 820-830 For all 3 or above
Ultimate Fico 850 x 3 Even if for a week Just to say I crawled out of the sewer and trust me it was the pits. I could not borrow a cent
Message 16 of 19
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

In my instance, all those boxes, bubble wrap and tape are free.  I paid $5 for my scale, which I use for smaller items and use the big scale at work for larger.  I use my work fedex account number and receive a 5% discount.  If my boss is in a good mood, he will pack for me, or I just take a break and pack during work hours, no biggie.

I keep a running tally of all items I sell, minus expenses.  Two years ago I earned enough to take us to Germany during Oktoberfest.  Sure, there is time spent listing, but I usually list during commercials, or while my hubby is driving us somewhere. 

I stopped at a garage sale, spent $20 and turned it into $125 AFTER expenses.  Now, that's not a bad profit for 60 minutes of work!  My biggest haul.....something I paid $25 for and sold for $900.  ChaChing!!!!

I almost always use delivery confirmation unless it's just a small item like a book or etc.  I think it's just fun....something to do for extra cash.  I'm a bit of a junker, so I always have something around.  The funniest thing I ever sold were 4 old table legs I bought from Habitat for $5.....I got $35 + shipping.  And there are always the used socks.......

Message 17 of 19
TaraB
New Visitor

Ebay is the best platform to sll second hand things. I always keep things aside and seell them together at ebay.. Sometimes it takes time but it get sold at the end.

Message 18 of 19
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@Poki wrote:

@SuperKirby wrote:

eBay is a lot of work!

I remember one summer during college I didn't have a job so I decided to sell everything in my apartment. I ended up selling over 500 items that summer! it became a full time job! 

What made it super easy for me was living next to a 24/7 USPS APC machine! I would ship late at night (midnight) and there wasn't a line so I could take my time and not feel guilty coming in with like 20 packages.

Good luck!

I thought about using one of those machines, but there is no option for delivery tracking and/or confirmation.

@masscredit wrote:

... .. .

Things that I don't like about eBay -

They will side with the buyer most of the time. Even if that person is 110% wrong. I sold toner cartridge in a sealed box (it was new). Never heard from the buyer, then got a dispute with them saying that it was used. I provided pictures and everything, they won. 

Non-paying bidders. Yeah, they get a strike against them (big deal).  We should be able to leave negative feedback. 

eBay seems geared towards the buyer. The seller loses out if the buyer doesn't pay or isn't honest and lies about what they received. 

Just about true

Wow, that is pretty special... lol What did you tell them?

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.